June 10, 2013
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - The Yvonne Sanchez Basketball Camps are now in full swing as hot summer days become the norm in New Mexico. On Monday morning two special New Mexicans visited New Mexico Women's Basketball campers. Governor Susana Martinez and Miss Albuquerque, Stephanie Chavez, spoke to the nearly 100 attendees about the importance of summer reading.
Governor Martinez, who launched the "Nothing But Net Lobo Summer Shootout" last month, discussed her reading campaign with the youngsters in attendance. She used New Mexico Women's Basketball as a prime example of what hard work off the court can do. She was joined by two-time Academic All-American Caroline Durbin as she spoke about the importance of academics.
Stephanie Chavez, a St. Pius X High School graduate, shared with the crowd about how she overcame difficulties with reading as a youngster. Miss Albuquerque stressed how she rose above her problems by becoming a dedicated reader, which has become very important as she strives to be named Miss New Mexico.
Both of the University of New Mexico basketball programs have pledged their support for the governor's initiative, which includes some special Lobo-basketball themed awards. Governor Martinez joined Head Coach Craig Neal earlier this month at summer basketball camp to share the reading campaign with more Lobo Basketball campers.
About the "Nothing But Net Lobo/Aggie Summer Shootout"
Eligibility: Runs May 22 through August 1, open to incoming 2nd, 3rd, and 4th graders. Students choose whether to compete for the Lobo or Aggie prizes based upon which school's reading log they submit.
Sponsored by: State of New Mexico; University of New Mexico Athletic Department; and New Mexico State University Athletic Department
- "Lay Up" Prizes (6 books): Certificate from Governor Martinez and the head basketball coach from either the Lobos or the Aggies, and a free Lobo or Aggie sports poster
- "Slam Dunk" Prizes (additional 6 books plus short write-up on the reader's favorite book): Free New Mexico True Lobo or Aggie basketball, in addition to the "Lay Up" prizes, and entry into the drawing for the Grand Prize
Grand Prize (winners selected at random):
- Meet Lobo men's head basketball coach Craig Neal, free tickets to a Lobo men's game, take part in a center-court ceremony at The Pit, and an autographed Lobo men's basketball (3 readers)
- Meet Lobo women's head basketball coach Yvonne Sanchez, free tickets to a Lobo women's game, take part in a center-court ceremony at The Pit, and an autographed Lobo women's basketball (3 readers)
- Meet Aggie men's head basketball coach Marvin Menzies, free tickets to an Aggie men's game, take part in a center-court ceremony at The Pan Am Center, and an autographed Aggie men's basketball (3 readers)
- Meet Aggie women's head basketball coach Mark Trakh, free tickets to an Aggie women's game, take part in a center-court ceremony at The Pan Am Center, and an autographed Aggie women's basketball (3 readers)
Students can pick up the "Nothing but Net" brochure and reading log at any of the various basketball camps run by the Lobos or Aggies throughout the summer, or at each school's merchandise store and ticket office. It can also be downloaded and printed at www.ReadingChallenge.ped.state.nm.us.