The Mission of the University of New Mexico Spirit Program is to give students the opportunity to be involved in an athletic activity as a supplement to their academic experiences at UNM. The program will strive to enrich the lives of the members by helping to develop leadership, commitment and responsibility. Members of the Spirit Program will support and positively represent UNM Athletics and the community.
The University of New Mexico Spirit Program consists of a Co-Ed Cheerleading team, an All-Girl Cheerleading team, a Chaparral Dance team and Lobo Louie and Lobo Lucy Mascots. The Spirit Program strives to uphold and project the ideals of the University, support Men's and Women's NCAA sports and actively participate in their community.
- Book stipends available to all spirit group members
- Monetary scholarships available to 3rd, 4th, and 5th year members
- Uniforms, warm-ups, bags and shoes provided
- Attend summer college dance/cheer camp
- Regular season games
- Conference Basketball tournament
- Post season (Bowl game, Men's & Women's NCAA Basketball)
- National Competitions
- Practice facility with full competition floor (mats)
- Cheer and Dance in the World Famous University Arena-"The Pit"
- Newly renovated football stadium with 37,000 plus capacity and state-of-the art video board/scoreboard
- Access to athletic training and weight facilities
- Athletic training staff on hand
- 2010 Small Co-ed team ranked 7th in the nation at UCA College Nationals
- 2010 All-Girl team ranked 13th in the nation at UCA College Nationals
- 2007 Girls "4" Partner Stunt Group ranked 1st in the nation - UCA College National Champions
- 2007 Chaparral Dance team ranked 14th in the nation at UDA College Nationals