February 9, 2014
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -- The University of New Mexico men’s tennis team dropped a 4-0 match to No. 51 Oregon at the Linda Estes Tennis Complex on Sunday afternoon.
The Lobos were prepared for a tough match and that is exactly what the Ducks gave them.
UNM started out strong in doubles play and almost pulled through with the first point of the match. No. 1 doubles team Hayden Sabatka and Andy Van Der Vyver fell quickly to UO’s Robin Cambier and Kevin Farin, 8-2, but teammates Rodolfo Jauregui and Mads Hegelund were busy picking up a Lobo victory in the No. 3 spot. It was tied 1-1 as Samir Iftikhar and James Hignett fought for the doubles point against UO’s Daan Maasland and Joey Swaysland. UNM led 7-4 at one point, but the Ducks weren’t going to go away that easily. UO hung on and took the match into a tiebreaker. It was a back and forth battle before the Ducks eventually clinched the doubles point.
The doubles point may have cost the Lobos the match this time around. Oregon did a clean sweep in singles against Hegelund, Jauregui, and Hignett to claim the match. Yet, as the match was called, McDaniels, Sabatka, and Iftikhar were all in the midst of their third sets battling towards a victory. The Lobos’ matches went unfinished, but with the help of the doubles point UNM may have been able to pull of the upset against the No. 51 Ducks.
UNM went 1-1 on the weekend and moved to 8-3 on the season.
Results: Oregon def. New Mexico, 4-0
1) Cambier/Farin (UO) def. Sabatka/Van Der Vyver (UNM), 8-2
2) Maasland/Swaysland (UO) def. Iftikhar/Hignett (UNM), 8-7
3) Jauregui/Hegelund (UNM) def. Sardu/Amos (UO), 8-5
1) Iftikhar (UNM) vs. Cambier (UO) -- UNFINISHED
2) Sabatka (UNM) vs. Farin (UO) -- UNFINISHED
3) Maasland (UO) def. Jauregui (UNM), 6-4, 6-2
4) McDaniels (UNM) vs. Swaysland (UO) -- UNFINISHED
5) Sardu (UO) def. Hignett (UNM), 6-2, 6-4
6) Amos (UO) def. Hegelund (UNM), 6-3, 6-3