Jan. 24, 2010
Lubbock, Texas- Anya Villanueva came away with a big win today at the No. 1 singles spot. The Mexico City, Mexico product defeated Texas Tech's Sandra Dynka, 7-5, 6-4. Unfortunately it wasn't enough as the Lobos fell 6-1 to No. 73 Texas Tech at the McLeod Tennis Center in Lubbock, Texas. The Lobos fall to 1-2 on the season.
It was a huge weekend for Villanueva, who went from being only as high as No. 5 in the line up last season, to No. 1 and walking away with two wins under her belt. She is 2-1 in dual play this season.
"This was the best Texas Tech team I have seen in 14 years," head coach Roy Cañada said. "After this weekend we know what we need to work on and we are looking forward to our match against Oregon."
The Lobos will return to action Feb. 12 at home against Oregon.
1. A. Villanueva def. Dynka, 7-5, 6-4
2. Garland (TT) def. Bonner (NM), 7-6, 6-2
3. Ullathorne (TT) def. Eggleston (NM), 6-2, 6-2
4. Leitch (TT) def. Shipperd (NM) 6-0, 6-0
5. Starck (TT) def. Richardson (NM) 6-0, 6-2
6. Aviles (TT) def. Oldani (NM), 6-1, 6-1
1. Garland/Leitch (TT) def. Bonner/Villanueva (NM), 8-2
2. Starck/Ullathorne (TT) def. Eggleston/Richardson (NM) 8-2
3. Dynka/Potgieter (TT) def. Shipperd/Oldani (NM) 8-7 (10-8)