March 12, 2004
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - The No. 66 New Mexico men's tennis team (5-4) swept the University of Montana 7-0 Friday night at the Lobo Tennis Club. It was the first meeting between the two in dual match competition.
The Lobos started out winning the doubles point. At No. 1, juniors David Kowalski and Ryan Stotland netted the 9-7 win over Jan Steenekamp and Stan Nevolovich. At No. 2, senior Divan Coetzee and freshman Hiroud Akhavan beat Gus Treyz and Sean Stewart 8-4 while senior Jasmin Hodzic and sophomore Henry Gers won 8-4 against Ryan O'Neill and Stuart Wing.
No. 22 ranked Coetzee moved one win closed to the all-time career wins record after his 6-2, 6-3 win over Steenekamp at No. 1 singles. Coetzee, 85-28, needs 11 more wins to break Pepe Caballero's record of 95-58.
Kowalski won 6-0, 6-1 at No. 2 singles over Nevolovich while Stotland stepped up to play in the third spot, dropping O'Neill 6-0, 6-2. Gers moved up to No. 4 singles against Stuart Wing and claimed the 6-2, 6-1 win. Sophomore Nick Ames jumped into the fifth spot as head coach Alan Dils gave senior Jasmin Hodzic the night off. Ames fought for the 2-6, 6-3, 6-4 win over Treyz. Getting his first dual match start of his career, freshman Robert Grzeskowiak cruised to a 6-2, 6-1 win at No. 6 over Nick Tyree.
No. 66 NEW MEXICO LOBOS d. MONTANA GRIZZLIES 7-0
1. Kowalski/Stotland d. Steenekamp/Nevolovich 9-7
2. Coetzee/Hiroud Akhavan d. Treyz/Sean Stewart 8-4
3. Jasmin Hodzic/Gers d. O'Neill/Wing 8-4
1. No. 22 Divan Coetzee d. Jan Steenekamp 6-2, 6-3
2. David Kowalski d. Stan Nevolovich 6-0, 6-1
3. Ryan Stotland d. Ryan O'Neill 6-0, 6-2
4. Henry Gers d. Stuart Wing 6-2, 6-1
5. Nick Ames d. Gus Treyz 2-6, 6-3, 6-4
6. Robert Grzeskowiak d. Nick Tyree 6-2, 6-1