March 4, 2011
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M.--- After a long day of tennis, the University of New Mexico men's tennis team can go into their final day of the HEB Tournament of Champions with a positive outlook and a solid win against Middle Tennessee State. Friday afternoon was a perfect example of the tenacity and skill the team possesses, but the morning match did not exemplify New Mexico's true talents. The Lobos fought hard Friday in their first match, but fell short in their match against the Purdue Boilermakers. Although New Mexico started out the morning with good momentum, sweeping all three doubles matches.
The Lobos no. 1 duo of Ben Dunbar and Conor Berg swiftly defeated their opponents Krisztian Krocsko and Szymon Tatarczyk 8-1. Right behind them were Carl Ho and Matthew Neeld, trumping Purdue's Eric Ramos and Mark Kovacs 8-3.
But the steady doubles wins did not carry over into singles play. New Mexico captured its only singles win from junior Carl Ho. In a three set match, Ho defeated Boilermaker Eric Ramos 6-2, 1-6, 6-3. Ho's win along with the doubles point left the Lobos with a 4-2 loss to Purdue.
Phillips, the Lobos no. 1 singles players, battled a difficult match against Shaun Waters. Waters managed to take the first set 5-7, but sophomore Philli
The wins in singles left New Mexico tied up with the Blue Raiders. But after sweeping doubles in true Lobo fashion, New Mexico sealed the win over Middle Tennessee 4-3.
The afternoon win will advance New Mexico to the consolation championship. Facing them will be the DePaul Blue Demons. The Lobos will begin their match against DePaul Saturday March 5th at 8 a.m.
Purdue 4, #46 New Mexico 2
1. Krisztian Krocsko (PUR) def. Jadon Phillips (NM) 6-2, 6-4
2. Szymon Tatarczyk (PUR) def. Ben Dunbar (NM) 3-6, 7-6, 6-3
3. Mark Kovacs (PUR) def. Phil Anderson (NM) 6-4, 6-1
4. Carl Ho (NM) def. Eric Ramos (PUR) 6-2, 1-6, 6-3
5. Aaron Dujovne (PUR) def. Conor Berg (NM) 6-7, 7-5, 6-2
6. Mads Hegelund (NM) vs. Pawel Poziomski (PUR) 5-7, 7-6, 5-3, unfinished
1. Ben Dunbar/Conor Berg (NM) def. Krisztian Krocsko/Szymon Tatarczyk (PUR) 8-1
2. Jadon Phillips/Phil Anderson (NM) vs. Pawel Poziomski/Aaron Dujovne (PUR) unfinished
3. Carl Ho/Matthew Neeld (NM) def. Eric Ramos/Mark Kovacs (PUR) 8-3
#46 New Mexico 4, Middle Tennessee 3
1. Jadon Phillips (NM) def. Shaun Waters (MT) 5-7, 7-5, 6-1
2. Ben Dunbar (NM) def. Matthew Langley (MT) 6-2, 6-1
3. Ben Davis (MT) def. Phil Anderson (NM) 6-3, 7-6
4. Carl Ho (NM) def. Elliott Barnwell (MT) 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
5. Dimitri Pippos (MT) def. Conor Berg (NM) 6-4, 2-6, 7-5
6. Kyle Wishing (MT) def. Mads Hegelund (NM) 7-6, 7-6
1. Conor Berg/Ben Dunbar (NM) vs. Shaun Waters/Ben Davis (MT) unfinished
2. Jadon Phillips/Phil Anderson (NM) def. Matthew Langley/Elliott Barnwell (MT) 8-1
3. Carl Ho/Matthew Neeld (NM) def. Dimitri Pippos/Kyle Wishing (MT) 8-5