NEW MEXICO vs. TEXAS STATE
Saturday, August 30, 2003
University Stadium - Albuquerque, N.M.
* With the win, New Mexico improves to 62-40-3 all-time in its season-openers and is 26-18 in season openers at University Stadium.
* With the win, Rocky Long has won three consecutive season openers and is now 4-2 in his career.
* The Lobos' 72 points were the ninth most in school history and the most since scoring 77 points against the University of Mexico in 1960. New Mexico's 41 first half points were tied for the second most in the first half and tied for the fourth most in any half. The school record for points in a half is 46 scored in the first half vs. Northern Arizona in 1950. UNM's 20 first quarter points are the most in the first quarter since scoring 21 points in a 48-28 win over UTEP on Oct. 6, 1991.
* Sophomore running back DonTrell Moore's four rushing touchdowns is a new career-high breaking an old mark of three that was set on Nov. 30, 2002, against Wyoming. Moore also rushed for over 100 yards for the fifth time in his career and for the third time in his last four games dating back to last season. Moore has scored nine touchdowns in his last two home games (5 vs. Wyoming).
* Senior lobo Sidney Wiley's interception in the first quarter was the first of his career.
* Senior wide receiver Dwight Counter's 40-yard run in the first quarter was a career long. Counter finished 192 all-purpose yards.
* Senior tight end Bryan Penley caught a career-high four passes for a career-high 47 yards and scored his fourth career touchdown.
* In the first half UNM scored on their first six possessions and finished the half scoring on 6-of-7 possessions, with the seventh possession ending the half. The Lobos were also a perfect 8-8 on third downs in the half.
* Senior nose tackle Guillermo Morrison's interception in the third quarter was the first of his career.
*Senior kicker Katie Hnida scored the first ever points by a female in NCAA Division IA football history with an extra point in the fourth quarter. Hnida finished the game with two extra points.
* Tonight's attendance of 35,331 was the fourth largest in University Stadium history.
* The Lobos' 299 yards rushing move Rocky Long's record to 13-4 when rushing for 200 yards or more and 12-2 when exceeding 225 yards rushing.
* UNM was a perfect 10-for-10 in the red zone with nine touchdowns and one field goal.
* The four passing touchdowns by the Lobos are the most since throwing four against Utah State on Sept. 12, 1998.
*The 64-point (72-8) margin of victory is the most at University Stadium since the Lobos defeated the University of Mexico by 71 points (77-6) in the first game every played in University Stadium in 1960.
*Texas State QB Barrick Nealy's 70 total scrimmage plays and 60 pass attempts were both school records...his 27 completions tied a TXST record.