Feb. 7, 2009
EUGENE, Ore. - The University of New Mexico men's tennis team defeated No. 60 UC-Santa Barbara, 7-0, in Eugene, Ore., to improve to 4-1 on the season.
All three Lobo duos picked up doubles wins to keep UNM undefeated in capturing the doubles point this season. Seniors Johnny Parkes and Miles Bugby are now 5-0 at the No. 1 position after defeating Philip Therp and Scott Hohenstein, 9-8 (7-4). Freshmen Ben Dunbar and Elliot Chang picked up their second doubles victory with a 9-7 win over Taylor Chavez Goggin and Nick Caledonia in the No. 3 slot.
Parkes remains perfect in singles as well (5-0), notching a decisive 6-1, 6-2 win over Therp at the No. 1 postion. Fellow seniors Bugby and Graeme Kassautzki also picked up wins to lead the Lobos in singles action at the No. 2 and No. 3 spots.
UNM's freshmen came away with wins. Dunbar defeated senior Max Taylor, 6-1, 6-3, for his first collegiate victory at No. 4. Chang made the most of his singles debut defeating Taylor Chavez Goggin 6-1, 6-2. Phil Anderson improved to 3-1 with a1-6, 6-3, 10-7 win over Josh Finkelstein at the No. 5 slot.
The Lobos continue action tomorrow, Sunday, Feb. 8 at 3:30 p.m., facing Oregon.
New Mexico 7, UC-Santa Barbara 0
1. Johnny Parkes/Miles Bugby def. Philip Therp/Scott Hohenstein 9-8 (7-4)
2. Graeme Kassautzki/Joe Wood def. Alexander Konigsfeldt/Josh Finkelstein 8-5
3. Ben Dunbar/Elliot Chang def. Taylor Chavez Goggin/Nick Caledonia 9-7
1. Parkes def. Therp 6-1, 6-2
2. Kassautzki def. Konigsfeldt 6-3, 6-0
3. Miles Bugby def. Honenstein 4-6, 6-3, 10-5
4. Dunbar def. Max Taylor 6-1, 6-3
5. Phil Anderson def. Finkelstein 1-6, 6-3, 10-7
6. Chang def. Chavez Goggin 6-1, 6-2