March 18, 2004
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - The No. 68 New Mexico men's tennis team (6-4) recorded its second consecutive shut out with its 7-0 blanking of Montana State today at the Lobo Tennis Club today.
No. 22-ranked senior Divan Coetzee earned another singles victory at No. 1 with his 6-3, 6-3 defeat of 71st-ranked Federico Ueltschi. Coetzee (27-8 overall) moves to 86-28 on his career, needing only ten more wins to claim the most career wins in UNM history. Coetzee is also only eight wins away from the single season win record.
At No. 2 singles, junior David Kowalski dropped Marek Gebicki 6-2, 6-2 while classmate Ryan Stotland took three-sets beat Tejeshwara Chigateri 7-6, 5-7, 6-3. In the fourth spot, freshman Hiroud Akhavan netted a 6-3, 6-3 win over Braden Olson. Sophomore Henry Gers recorded the 7-6, 6-2 win over Adam Stutts at No. 5 while senior Jasmin Hodzic defeated Cameron May in the sixth spot, 6-2, 6-0.
In doubles action, Kowalski and Stotland netted the 8-6 win over Gebicki and Olson at No. 1. Coetzee and Akhavan got the 8-2 win at No. 2 over Ueltschi and Chigateri and Hodzic and Gers downed Stutts and Jake Berriochoa 8-2 in the third spot.
New Mexico hits the road for two matches in Lubbock, Texas. The Lobos will play Louisiana-Lafayette on Saturday at 11 a.m. followed by Texas Tech on Sunday at noon.
No. 68 New Mexico vs. Montana State
1. David Kowalski/Ryan Stotland d. Marek Gebicki/Braden Olson 8-6
2. Divan Coetzee/Hiroud Akhavan d. Federico Ueltschi/Tejeshwara Chigateri 8-2
3. Jasmin Hodzic/Henry Gers d. Adam Stutts/Jake Berriochoa 8-2
1. No. 22 Divan Coetzee d. Federico Ueltschi 6-3, 6-3
2. David Kowalski d. Marek Gebicki 6-2, 6-2
3. Ryan Stotland d. Tejeshwara Chigateri 7-6, 5-7, 6-3
4. Hiroud Akhavan d. Braden Olson 6-3, 6-3
5. Henry Gers d. Adam Stutts 7-6, 6-2
6. Jasmin Hodzic d. Cameron Mayo 6-2, 6-0