Jan. 30, 2004
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The New Mexico men's tennis team, ranked No. 56 nationally, improved to 2-0 on the season behind a 6-1 win at Santa Clara Friday night.
The Lobos started the match by claiming the doubles point with wins at No. 2 and No. 3. The duo of senior Divan Coetzee and freshman Hiroud Akhavan netted a 8-2 win over Eric Chen and Kevin McQuaid at No. 2 while the tandem of senior Jasmin Hodzic and sophomore Henry Gers won 8-4 at No. 3 against Ben Hidalgo and Taylor Bedilion. At No. 1 doubles, No. 49 Eric Kochanski and Gernot Fischer battled to down 37th-ranked juniors Ryan Stotland and David Kowalski, 8-4.
At No. 1 singles, No. 27 Coetzee earned another win, beating Gernot Fischer 6-3, 6-4. No. 72 Kowalski showed why he was chosen the Mountain West Conference Player of the Week with his 6-3, 6-2 win over Chen at No. 2 to remain undefeated in dual matches. Akhavan, playing at No. 3, garnered a 7-5, 6-1 win over Kochanski. Hodzic defeated Zepponi 6-4, 7-5 at No. 5 while sophomore Nick Ames picked up a 6-4, 6-3 win at No. 6.
The Lobos remain on the California coast to take on San Francisco, Sunday at 11 a.m.
NEW MEXICO VS. SANTA CLARA
1. No. 49 Kochanski/Fischer (SCU) d. No. 37 Stotland/Kowalski (UNM) 8-4
2. Coetzee/Akhavan (UNM) d. Chen/McQuaid (SCU) 8-2
3. Hodzic/Gers (UNM) d. Hidalgo/Bedilion (SCU) 8-4
1. No. 27 Divan Coetzee (UNM) d. Gernot Fischer (SCU) 6-3, 6-4
2. No. 72 David Kowalski (UNM) d. Erick Chen (SCU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Hiroud Akhavan (UNM) d. Eric Kochanski (SCU) 7-5, 6-1
4. Taylor Bedilion (SCU) d. Ryan Stotland (UNM) 6-4, 7-6
5. Jasmin Hodzic (UNM) d. Francisco Zepponi (SCU) 6-4, 7-5
6. Nick Ames (UNM) d. Kevin McQuaid (SCU) 6-4, 6-3