April 27, 2011
FORT COLLINS, Colo,--- The University of New Mexico men's tennis team picked up their first win of the Mountain West Conference Tournament on Wednesday in Fort Collins, Colo. The no.3 Lobos faced the no.6 Utah Utes to kick-off the tournament. The match began at 3:30 p.m. after matches throughout the day had been postponed due to the weather. But, the tough weather did not deter the Lobos from coming out strong and sweeping the Utes 4-0.
New Mexico made the first move right away, taking the doubles point with two wins from Jadon Phillips and Phil Anderson as well as Carl Ho and Joe Wood. Phillips and Anderson defeated their opponents 8-1, while Ho and Wood took down their opponents 8-3.
After a strong start on the doubles court, the Lobos claimed the first three single matches to close out the match at 4-0.
Conor Berg tallied the first win for New Mexico with a solid 6-0, 6-2 defeat of Ben Tasevac.
Ben Dunbar came in right behind Berg after overpowering Devin Lane 6-2, 6-2.
The final win of the day came from Joe Wood who defeated Gino Octa 6-2, 6-4.
Third-seeded New Mexico will meet second-seeded TCU in the semifinals of the 2011 Mountain West Men's Tennis Championship on Friday at 2 p.m. MT.
1. Jadon Phillips (UNM) def. Dmytro Mamedov (UTAH) 7-6 (7-3), 3-0
2. Ben Dunbar (UNM) def. Devin Lane (UTAH) 6-2, 6-2
3. Phil Anderson (UNM) def. Alejandro Medinilla (UTAH) 7-5, 3-3
4. Matt Cowley (UTAH) vs. Carl Ho (UNM) no result
5. Conor Berg (UNM) def. Ben Tasevac (UTAH) 6-0, 6-2
6. Joe Wood (UNM) def. Gino Octa (UTAH) 6-2, 6-4
1. #62 Phil Anderson/Jadon Phillips (UNM) def. Gino Octa/Alejandro Medinilla (UTAH) 8-1
2. Matt Cowley/Ben Tasevac (UTAH) def. Conor Berg/Ben Dunbar (UNM) 6-4
3. Joe Wood/Carl Ho (UNM) def. Dmytro Mamedov/Devin Lane (UTAH) 8-3