Beggin Leads UNM Romp Over Colonels
Courtesy: New Mexico Athletics  
Release:  11/23/2007
Courtesy: New Mexico Athletics

Nov. 23, 2007

Box Score |  Quotes |  Photo Gallery 

Coach Flanagan Press Conference

Sophomore Amy Beggin scored a career-high 21 points and fueled a staggering 28-0 second-half run as New Mexico ran away from Nicholls State 79-49 in the opening round of the Holiday Inn & Suites Express Albuquerque Midtown Tournament.

The Lobos improve to 4-1 and will play Oregon in the championship game Saturday at 9 p.m. The Ducks beat Coppin State 64-51 in Friday's first game.

Nicholls State drops to 1-2.

UNM led just 38-34 after the Colonels' Kelli Johnson nailed a 3-pointer less than four minutes into the second half. An innocent layup by Brandi Kimble then jump-started the Lobo burst that would keep the Colonels off the scoreboard for 12 minutes and 19 seconds.

Beggin, who scored 11 points during the blitz, capped it off with a 3-pointer. She made 7 of 8 shots from the floor, including 4 of 5 from 3-point, and all three of her free throws.

Junior forward Angela Hartill also notched a career-high with 12 points and added seven rebounds. Senior Dionne Marsh finished with 16 points and nine boards. She was 8 of 8 from the free-throw line.

New Mexico finished the game shooting 52% (28-54) overall, 54% (7-13) from 3-point and 84% (16-19) from the line. UNM shot 59% (17-29) from the field in the second half and 4 of 5 from beyond the arc.

The Lobos held the Colonels to 27% (15-56) accuracy from the floor, and held a 44-26 advantage on the boards.

Shelley West was the only Nicholls State player in double figures, finishing with 10 points. She also had nine rebounds.

UNM started off strong, getting leads of 11-2 and 20-10 following a basket by Marsh midway through the first half. But Nikina Hill capped an 8-0 NSU run with a 3-pointer, allowing the visitors to remain very much in the game.

New Mexico answered with an 8-2 spurt to make it 28-20, but the Lobos missed their last five shots of the half and the lead was just 31-26 at the break.