Feb. 12, 2011
TUCSON, Ariz.--- The University of New Mexico men's tennis team left the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center in Tucson, Ariz. with their second loss of the season. The Lobos faced the University of San Diego Toreros Saturday after battling the Wildcats the day before.
New Mexico captured the first point of the night in doubles. Jadon Phillips and Phil Anderson defeated San Diego's Dean Jackson and Patrick Pohlman 9-7. The Lobo win was joined by a victory from Conor Berg and Carl Ho 9-8 (7-1.) Ho stepped in to take over for Ben Dunbar, who had suffered a knee injury the day before against Arizona.
After edging out a win in doubles, the Lobos hoped to take their momentum into singles play but couldn't hold off the No. 50 Toreros.
Freshman Mads Hegelund almost claimed the second win of his career taking opponent Emilio Mora to three sets. After falling in the first set 6-4, Hegelund came back strong and overpowered Mora 6-3 but was unable to fight off the Torero in a final 6-2 defeat.
New Mexico dropped all 6 singles matches of the day, losing the match overall 6-1.
Next up the Lobos take on the University of Texas-San Antonio at home. The Road Runners will face New Mexico Friday February 18 at 12 p.m. at the Linda Estes Tennis Complex.
(1) Anderson/Phillips (UNM) def. #7 Jackson/Pohlmann (USD) 9-7
(2) Berg/Ho (UNM) def. Bubnic/Schive (USD) 9-8 (7-1)
(3) Spinosa/Visy (USD) def. Wood/Neeld (UNM) 8-6
New Mexico wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
(1) #31 Dean Jackson (USD) def. Jadon Phillips (UNM) 7-6 (2), 6-1
(2) Patrick Pohlmann (USD) def. Phil Anderson (UNM) 6-2, 6-2
(3) Nikola Bubnic (USD) def. Carl Ho (UNM) 7-6 (1), 4-6, 1-0 (11)
(4) Clarke Spinosa (USD) def. Conor Berg (UNM) 6-2, 7-5
(5) Thibaut Visy (USD) def. Joe Wood (UNM) 6-3, 6-3
(6) Emilio Mora (USD) def. Mads Hegelund (UNM) 6-4, 3-6, 6-2
Order of finish: 2, 4, 5, 1*, 3, 6