April 23, 2011
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M--- The Lobo men's tennis team wrapped up their regular season Saturday afternoon in a bittersweet victory over the U.S. Air Force Academy at the Linda Estes Tennis Complex. New Mexico handed the Falcons a decisive 7-0 defeat, but did so knowing it would be Senior Joe Wood's final match as a Lobo.
The Lobos came out strong from the moment the match began, sweeping all three doubles matches. Joe Wood and teammate Carl Ho kept their Air Force opponents off the board entirely, defeating them 8-0. Ben Dunbar and Conor Berg also secured a solid 8-1 win over the Falcons. Phil Anderson and Jadon Phillips closed out the doubles sweep with a 8-4 win.
Joe Wood carried the momentum from his impressive doubles win on the singles court. Clinching the match for New Mexico, Wood downed Falcon Alex Beaussart 6-2, 7-5.
Phill Anderson tallied the first singles win for the Lobos over Taylor Soster 7-5, 6-3.
On the no. 1 court, Jadon Phillips took Lance Wilhelm to a three set match, claiming a 6-1, 6-7, 10-7 win.
Despite the sad undertone of the lone senior send-off, the Lobos were excited and enthusiastic to have closed the season with a shut out leading into the conference tournament.
The Mountain West Conference tournament is set to begin on Wednesday April, 27. New Mexico will face their competitors in Fort Collins, Colo. at Colorado State University.
UNM - 7 AFA - 0
1. Jadon Phillips def. Lance Wilhelm 6-1, 6-7, 10-7
2. Ben Dunbar def. Andy Jackson 7-5, 6-3
3. Phil Anderson def. Taylor Soster 6-1, 6-3
4. Carl Ho def. Alex Grubbs 4-6, 6-4, 10-4
5. Conor Berg def. Steven Young 6-1, 6-1
6. Joe Wood def. Alex Beaussart 6-2, 7-5
Order of Finish: 3, 5, 6, 1, 2, 4
1. Phillips/ Anderson def. Wilhelm Young 8-4
2. Dunbar/Berg def. Jackson/ Soster 8-1
3. Ho/ Wood def. Grubbs/ Rizvi 8-0
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1