April 9, 2004
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - The No. 67 New Mexico men's tennis team (10-5, 1-0) are one step closer to the top of the mountain with its 6-1 win over Air Force (12-9, 0-1) for its first conference win of the season.
Senior Divan Coetzee, ranked 27th nationally, won at No. 1 singles over Trevor Johnson, 6-3, 6-1. Coetzee now has a career record of 90-29 and is just six wins shy of tying Pepe Caballero for the most wins in UNM men's tennis history. Coetzee is 31-9 this year and four wins from claiming the single season win record from Matt Amgwerd who won 34 matches in 2000.
Sophomore Henry Gers extended his win streak at singles to seven matches. Gers, playing in the third spot for the first time in his career, crushed Chris Dong, 6-1, 6-0. Junior Ryan Stotland picked up the 6-3, 6-2 win at No. 4 over Justin Lau. Freshman Hiroud Akhavan swept Sky Jensen, 6-0, 6-0 in the fifth spot and senior Jasmin Hodzic netted the 6-0, 6-3 win over Robby Alexander at No. 6.
The Lobos started the match claiming the doubles point. Stotland and Kowalski blew past Johnson and Jensen, 8-2 at No. 1. Coetzee and Akhavan beat Dong and Lau 8-3 while Gers and Hodzic battled for the 9-7 win over McClung and Ryan White.
New Mexico returns to action tomorrow at 2 p.m. as it hosts the conference leaders, No. 70 UNLV.
No. 67 New Mexico 6 vs. Air Force Academy 1
1. Stotland/Kowalski d. Johnson/Jensen 8-2
2. Coetzee/Akhavan d. Dong/Lau 8-3
3. Gers/Hodzic d. McClung/Ryan White 9-7
1. No. 27 Divan Coetzee d. Trevor Johnson 6-3, 6-1
2. Tyler McClung d. David Kowalski 6-3, 6-2
3. Henry Gers d. Chris Dong 6-1, 6-0
4. Ryan Stotland d. Justin Lau 6-3, 6-2
5. Hiroud Akhavan d. Sky Jensen 6-0, 6-0
6. Jasmin Hodzic d. Robby Alexander 6-0, 6-3