March 13, 2010
Las Cruces, N.M.- Anya Villanueva won her second singles match of the weekend, this time over New Mexico State's Sophie Marks. Marks retired after Villanueva won the first set 6-2. However, Villanueva's victory wasn't enough as the University of New Mexico women's tennis team fell short losing to New Mexico State, 6-1 Saturday at the New Mexico State Tennis Center.
The defeat marks the Lobos' first loss to the Aggies (6-7) since 2002 and only the third ever to NMSU..
Anya Villanueva and Laura Richardson were just two games away from clinching the doubles point. After losing at the No. 1 doubles position and winning at No. 3, it came down to Villanueva and Richardson. The duo lost in a narrow defeat, 9-7.
New Mexico will travel to Tampa, Fla. March 16 to take on South Florida and then head over to Orlando to battle Central Florida.
NM State 6, UNM 1
1. Kulaif/Costa (NMSU) d. Bonner/Shipperd (UNM) 8-3
2. Marks/Sylvain (NMSU) d. Villanueva/Richardson (UNM) 9-7
3. Durie/Eggleston (UNM) d. Pinero/Salum (NMSU) 8-5
1. Villanueva (UNM) d. Marks (NMSU) 6-2, ret.
2. Sylvan (NMSU) d. Bonner (UNM) 6-1, 6-3
3. Kulaif (NMSU) d. Shipperd (UNM) 6-1, 6-1
4. Pinero (NMSU) d. Richardson (UNM) 6-3, 6-3
5. Salum (NMSU) d. Eggleston (UNM) 7-5, 5-7, 10-6
6. Tapia (NMSU) d. Oldani (UNM) 6-3, 7-6