Jan. 25, 2004
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - For the third consecutive year, the New Mexico men's tennis team swept the Northern Arizona Lumberjacks, 7-0, Sunday afternoon at the Lobo Tennis Club. The Lobos also remained undefeated against the Lumberjacks, improving to 17-0 all-time.
Securing the doubles point for the Lobos were the tandems of senior Divan Coetzee and freshman Hiroud Akhavan and senior Jasmin Hodzic and sophomore Henry Gers. At No. 2 doubles, Coetzee and Akhavan downed Jonas Jegers and Jamie Maxwell, 8-4. Hodzic and Gers, playing at No. 3, dropped James Heck and Jeremy Coll, 8-4 as well.
In singles action, sophomore Nick Ames dropped Ronson Taylor, 6-1, 6-1 in the sixth spot to give the Lobos their first singles point. Quickly picking up the second point was No. 72 Kowalski, getting a 6-2, 6-0 win at No. 2 against Jeremy Coll. Akhavan defeated DeLeon, 6-1, 6-3, in the fourth spot while Hodzic won, 6-4, 6-3 over Maxwell at No. 5. for the game-winning points. No. 27 Coetzee netted a 6-2, 6-4 win over Schram in the first spot to bring the Lobos just one win away from their third consecutive sweep over NAU. Finally at No. 3, Stotland fought his way back from a 5-7 loss in the first set to win the next two sets, 7-5, 6-3 and complete the victory.
The No. 56 ranked Lobos move to 1-0 on the season and 2-1 in dual matches this year.
New Mexico travels California for its next two matches. The Lobos will face Santa Clara at 2 p.m. on Jan. 30 and San Francisco on Feb. 1 at 1 p.m.
NEW MEXICO VS. NORTHERN ARIZONA RESULTS
1. No. 37 Stotland/Kowalski (UNM) d. Schram/DeLeon (NAU) 9-8 (3)
2. Coetzee/Akhvan (UNM) d. Jegers/Maxwell (NAU) 8-4
3. Gers/Hodzic (UNM) d. Heck/Coll (NAU) 8-4
1. No. 27 Divan Coetzee (UNM) d. Thibault Schram (NAU) 6-2, 6-4
2. No. 72 David Kowalski (UNM) d. Jeremy Coll (NAU) 6-2, 6-0
3. Ryan Stotland (UNM) d. Jonas Jegers (NAU) 5-7, 7-5, 6-3
4. Hiroud Akhavan (UNM) d. Lew DeLeon (NAU) 6-1, 6-3
5. Jasmin Hodzic (UNM) d. Jamie Maxwell (NAU) 6-4, 6-3
6. Nick Ames (UNM) d. Ronson Taylor (NAU) 6-1, 6-1