April 9, 2011
FORT WORTH, Texas.--- The No. 53 men's tennis team fell to TCU Friday night after a tough match against the Horned Frogs. The match was the third conference duel so far this season for the Lobos and puts them at 2-1 in the MWC. The defeat also puts New Mexico at 12-8 record.
The Lobos were able to come out strong in the beginning of the match, securing the doubles point with 2 of 3 wins. The no.79 duo of Jadon Phillips and Phil Anderson bested their TCU opponents, the no.34 team of Emanuel Brighiu and Christoper Price, 9-8 (7-5.) Teammates Conor Berg and Ben Dubar also claimed a solid win, edging out Paul Chappell and Cameron Nash 8-6.
But the Lobos did not fare quite as well on the singles side, falling in 5 of 6 matches. Carl Ho tallied the sole singles win for New Mexico, topping Slah Mbarek 6-3, 5-7, 6-4.
New Mexico will return to the courts again next weekend where they face BYU in Provo, Utah. The match is slated to begin at 1 p.m. MT Friday, April 14.
TCU 5 - UNM 2
1. #78 Emanuel Brighiu (TCU) def. Jadon Phillips (UNM) 6-3, 6-3
2. Zach Nichols (TCU) def. Ben Dunbar (UNM) 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
3. Carl Ho (UNM) def. Slah Mbarek (TCU) 6-3, 5-7, 6-4
4. Christopher Price (TCU) def. Conor Berg (UNM) 6-7 (6-8), 6-1, 6-3
5. Soren Goritzka (TCU) def. Phil Anderson (UNM) 6-7 (5-7), 7-5, 6-2
6. Daniel Sanchez (TCU) def. Joe Wood (UNM) 7-6 (7-5), 6-3
1. #79 Phil Anderson/Jadon Phillips (UNM) def. #34 Emanuel Brighiu/Christopher Price (TCU) 9-8 (7-5)
2. Conor Berg/Ben Dunbar (UNM) def. Paul Chappell/Cameron Nash (TCU) 8-6
3. Zach Nichols/Daniel Sanchez (TCU) def. Carl Ho/Joe Wood (UNM) 8-5