April 30, 2011
New Mexico Lobos Men's Tennis -- At Mountain West Championships
Friday: TCU 4, Lobos 2
GREELEY, Colo. -- The Lobos' charge into the Mountain West Conference Men's Tennis Championships ended Friday in an unexpected site and on a spot on the bracket one spot beneath New Mexico's goal.
The Lobos lost in the semis 4-2 to TCU at the Workout West Tennis and Fitness Club in Greeley as the tourney had to run from the foul winds that hit Fort Collins and the Colorado State courts. TCU went into the match as the No. 2 seed and UNM was No. 3.
The Horned Frogs advance to the tourney finals to battle No. 1 seed Brigham Young, which powered past No. 5 San Diego State, 4-1. The tourney hits the road again today (Saturday) as the finals will be played on the campus of the Air Force Academy.
The Lobos' match with TCU was tied at 2-2 when TCU junior Slah Mbarek edged UNM`s Carl Ho, 2-6, 6-4, 7-5 at the No. 4 singles spot. TCU sealed the win in the No. 6 spot when Daniel Sanchez beat Lobo Joe Wood, 6-3, 6-3.
UNM's Ho had a 3-2 lead in the third and final set before TCU's Mbarek rolled out wins in three straight games to grab a 5-3 lead. Ho fought back to tie the set 5-all with a break, but Mbarek broke Ho in the next game and the Horned Frog went on to the 7-5 win.
TCU grabbed the early lead in the match with UNM by taking the doubles point. It was the first time UNM gave up a point in doubles to another Mountain West opponent.
A key win in doubles came when UNM's Phil Anderson and Jadon Phillips, ranked No. 62, gave up a 5-2 lead and lost 9-7 to TCU's No. 1 doubles team of Emanuel Brighiu and Christopher Price. Anderson and Phillips also led 6-3 before allowing the TCU duo to tie the game at 6-all. The TCU team broke serve to take a 8-7 lead and then the Frogs held serve to notch the win.
UNM gave up the doubles point when Ho and Wood lost 8-4.
TCU went up 2-0 in the match when UNM's Ben Dunbar lost 7-6 (2), 6-0 in the No. 2 hole in singles. UNM rallied to tie the match at 2-2 off a 6-4, 6-3 win by Anderson and Phillips' come-from-behind 1-6, 7-6 (5), 6-4 win over Brighiu.
New Mexico ends the tournament and regular season with a 15-10 overall record and 4-2 record in the Mountain West.
1. Jadon Phillips (UNM) def. #72 Emanuel Brighiu (TCU) 1-6, 7-6 (7-5), 6-4
2. Zach Nichols (TCU) def. Ben Dunbar (UNM) 7-6 (7-2), 6-0
3. Phil Anderson (UNM) def. Christopher Price (TCU) 6-4, 6-3
4. Slah Mbarek (TCU) def. Carl Ho (UNM) 2-6, 6-4, 7-5
5. Soren Goritzka (TCU) vs. Conor Berg (UNM) 6-4, unfinished
6. Daniel Sanchez (TCU) def. Joe Wood (UNM) 6-3, 6-3
1. #48 Emanuel Brighiu/Christopher Price (TCU) def. #62 Jadon Phillips/Phil Anderson (UNM) 9-7
2. Conor Berg/Ben Dunbar (UNM) def. Paul Chappell/Cameron Nash (TCU) 8-5
3. Daniel Sanchez/Zach Nichols (TCU) def. Joe Wood/Carl Ho (UNM) 8-4