April 25, 2008
FORT WORTH, Texas - Second-seeded New Mexico posted a 4-0 shutout win over No. 6 San Diego State on Friday at the 2008 Mountain West Conference Men's Tennis Championships at the Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center to punch its ticket to the finals on Saturday. The Lobos notched their 20th (20-7) victory of the season with Friday's victory.
The Lobos jumped out to a 1-0 lead with two convincing wins at the top two doubles positions. The duo of Chris and Johnny Parkes led off with an 8-2 defeat of San Diego State's Danny Heidecker and Tim Schulz van Endert, while the Lobo tandem of Max Jones and Kamil Pajkowski improved to 26-6 by clinching the point with an 8-4 victory over Juan Gomez and Bartosz Golas at the top spot.
New Mexico cruised through singles play, posting three straight-sets victories to seal the match.
Johnny Parkes began the scoring with a 6-1, 6-1 victory over Matan Shitrit at the No. 2 position.
Chris Parkes followed for the Lobos with a 6-3, 6-3 defeat of Heidecker at the No. 5 slot, while Jones clinched the win with a 6-3, 7-5 victory over Golas at the top spot.
The Lobos will face the winner of Friday's other semifinal match between No. 1 TCU and No. 5 BYU on Saturday at 10 a.m. CDT. New Mexico Looks to collect its third MWC Tournament title.
No. 2 New Mexico (20-7) def. San Diego State (13-12), 4-0
1. No. 69 Max Jones (UNM) def. Bartosz Golas (SDSU) 6-3, 7-5
2. Johnny Parkes (UNM) def. Matan Shitrit (SDSU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Achim Ceban (SDSU) vs. Graeme Kassautzki (UNM) 6-4, 5-4, unf.
4. Miles Bugby (UNM) vs. Juan Gomez (SDSU) 6-2, 4-6, 2-1, unf.
5. Chris Parkes (UNM) def. Danny Heidecker (SDSU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Andre Feliz (SDSU) vs. Kamil Pajkowski (UNM) 6-0, 6-5, unf.
Order of Finish: 2, 5, 1*
1. Jones/Pajkowski (UNM) def. Gomez/Golas (SDSU) 8-4
2. Parkes/Parkes (UNM) def. Heidecker/Schulz van Endert (SDSU) 8-2
3. Kassautzki/Wood (UNM) vs. Ceban/Feliz (SDSU) 7-6, unf.
Order of Finish: 2, 1*