April 15, 2011
PROVO, Utah.--- The No. 54 men's tennis team fell to the BYU Cougars Thursday afternoon in Provo, Utah. The Cougars, who are currently ranked no. 36, managed to make a come back against the Lobos after losing the doubles point and the first singles match of the day.
The New Mexico duo of Ben Dunbar and Conor Berg were the first to claim victory, defeating Patrick Kwaka and Evan Urbina 8-4. Wrapping up the doubles portion of the match was Joe Wood and Carl Ho. The pair edged past opponents Spencer Smith and Roman Warias, 9-8 (5).
Starting out strong in singles was Junior Ben Dunbar who handily defeated Evan Urbina 6-1, 6-3.
After losing the first two points, BYU came back to win 4 straight singles matches in a row. In the final match of the day, Senior Joe Wood claimed the win over Roman Warias 7-6, 7-6, putting the final score at 4-3.
New Mexico is now 12-9 on the season and 2-2 in the Mountain West Conference. They continue play Saturday against the University of Utah Utes. The Lobos will face the Utes at 1 p.m. in Salt Lake City, Utah.
No. 36 BYU vs. No. 54 New Mexico
1. Batrakov/Shubert (BYU) def. No. 57 Anderson/Phillips (UNM) 8-6
2. Berg/Dunbar (UNM) def. Kawka/Urbina (BYU) 8-4
3. Ho/Wood (UNM) def. Smith/Warias (BYU) 9-8 (5)
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
1. Ben Dunbar (UNM) def. Evan Urbina (BYU) 6-1, 6-3
2. Georgy Batrakov (BYU) def. Jadon Phillips (UNM) 6-2, 6-4
3. Spencer Smith (BYU) def. Carl Ho (UNM) 3-6, 6-0, 6-4
4. No. 110 Patrick Kawka (BYU) def. Conor Berg (UNM) 6-3, 6-7, 6-1
5. Thomas Shubert (BYU) def. Phil Anderson (UNM) 6-3, 6-3
6. Joe Wood (UNM) def. Roman Warias (BYU) 7-6, 7-6
Order of finish: 1, 2, 4, 3, 5, 6