March 7, 2004
The University of New Mexico Ski Team will compete in the 2004 NCAA Championships this week at the University of Nevada. The Nordic races will be held at the Auburn Ski Club while the Alpine events will be held at Sugar Bowl Ski Resort in Sugar Bowl, Calif. The meet begins with the Alpine Slalom races on Wednesday, March 9, at 10:30 a.m. (M.S.T.). The Nordic Freestyle races start at 11:30 a.m. (M.S.T.) on Thursday, with the Alpine Giant Slalom on Friday at 10:30 a.m. (M.S.T.). Saturday, March 13, is the final day of competition with the Nordic Classic races beginning at 10:00 a.m. (M.S.T.).
The Lobos have qualified a full team of 12 skiers and are looking to improve on their fourth place overall finish from last season. New Mexico's best ever finish at the NCAA Championships is a second place showing at the 1992 meet. It is also the highest finish for any UNM team in an NCAA Championship.
Leading the way for the Lobos is junior Martina Stursova. She has four Nordic wins this season and is one of the top female Nordic skiers in the country. Stursova was an all-American in 2003 and should repeat this year. Senior Jennifer Delich is in the top-5 in the Rocky Mountain Intercollegiate Ski Association standings in the women's Slalom and Giant Slalom. She is looking to return to her all-American form from the 2002 season. Also looking for her second all-American honors is junior Lena Jensen. Jensen is third in the RMISA women's Classic. Freshmen Peter Roering and Lars Loeseth lead the men's Alpine squad. They are both ranked in the top-6 in the RMISA men's Slalom and Giant Slalom standings. Sophomore Geir-Endre Rogn and freshman Dirk Grimm lead the men's Nordic squad. They have combined for 13 top-10's in 20 races this season.
* Jensen is the only Lobo men's team member with any NCAA Championship experience. In 2003 he finished 20th in the Slalom and 30th in the Giant Slalom.
* Delich is making her fourth trip to the NCAA Championships. She was an all-American in 2002 and a member of the NCAA Women's Slalom Championship team that year. Her best NCAA finishes are fifth in the Slalom and 20th in the Giant Slalom.
* Spendier also has NCAA Championship experience, finishing 16th in the Slalom and 14th in the Giant Slalom in her first trip last season.
* This is the first trip to the NCAA Championships for all three of the Lobo men.
* Stursova is making her second appearance at the NCAA Championships. Last season she earned all-American honors with a fourth place in the Classic and a fifth place in the Freestyle. She was also a member of the 2003 Women's Nordic Freestyle Championship team.
* Jensen is returning to the NCAA Championships after taking a year off from collegiate skiing. In 2002 she placed sixth in the women's Classic to earn all-American honors. She also placed 13th in the 2002 Freestyle race.