April 10, 2009
SAN DIEGO - The 41st-ranked University of New Mexico men's tennis team notched a 5-2 victory over 46th-ranked conference foe Utah today, handing the Utes their first conference loss of the season. UNM improved to 16-4 overall with a 3-1 record in the Mountain West Conference while Utah fell to 16-7 and 4-1 in the MWC.
UNM pulled out the doubles win with victories in the No. 2 and No. 3 slot. Senior Graeme Kassautzki and sophomore Joe Wood teamed up at No. 2 for their second straight doubles victory, a close 9-8 decision over Timmy Allin and John Taylor. At the No. 3 position, freshmen Ben Dunbar and Carl Ho downed Benito Suriano and Stephen Jacobs, 8-4. Johnny Parkes and Miles Bugby met tough competition again, losing 8-1, to Phillip Eilers and Wes Hancock at the No. 1 spot.
In singles, Parkes continued to roll, making it 13 straight winning matches in a row with a 6-3, 6-7 (9-11), 6-2 win over Hancock in the No. 1 slot. Parkes is now 19-1 in spring singles action. Kassautzki ended a four-match losing streak with a solid 6-3, 6-3 win over Suriano at the No. 3 position.
Freshmen Ho and Dunbar also picked up pivotal singles wins. Dunbar improved to 9-7 with a 4-6, 6-4, 6-3 win over Taylor. Now 5-0 at the No. 6 slot, Ho picked up a 7-6, 7-6 decision over Allin.
The Lobos wrap up the three-match conference road trip on Saturday against No. 64 BYU. Match time is scheduled for 10 a.m. MDT.
#41 New Mexico 5, 46 Utah 2
1. Phillip Eilers/Wes Hancock (Utah) def. Miles Bugby/Johnny Parkes (UNM) 8-1
2. Graeme Kassautzki/Joe Wood (UNM) def. Timmy Allin/John Taylor (Utah) 9-8
3. Ben Dunbar/Carl Ho (UNM) def. Benito Suriano/Stephen Jacobs (Utah) 8-4
1. Johnny Parkes (UNM) def. Wes Hancock (Utah) 6-3, 6-7 (9-11), 6-2
2. Phillip Eilers (Utah) def. Miles Bugby (UNM) 6-2, 6-4
3. Graeme Kassautzki (UNM) def. Benito Suriano (Utah) 6-3, 6-3
4. Ben Dunbar (UNM) def. John Taylor (Utah) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
5. Jason Smits (Utah) def. Phil Anderson (UNM) 7-6, 6-2
6. Carl Ho (UNM) def. Timmy Allin (Utah) 7-6, 7-6