New Mexico Falls to No. 17 Utah, 45-14
Courtesy: New Mexico Athletics  
Release:  11/07/2009
Courtesy: New Mexico Athletics

Nov. 7, 2009

Final Stats |  AP Photo Gallery 

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) - Jordan Wynn passed for 297 yards and two touchdowns in his first college start and Eddie Wide set a school record with his sixth straight 100-yard rushing game as No. 17 Utah beat New Mexico 45-14 on Saturday night.

The Utes (8-1, 5-0) won their sixth straight. Utah also remained unbeaten in the Mountain West Conference, setting up a first-place showdown next week at No. 6 TCU.

Wide gained 122 yards in the third quarter alone as the Utes blew open the game with three touchdowns.

Wide's 35-yard run to put Utah up 38-7. He finished with 145 yards on 20 carries with two touchdowns and Sausan Shakerin added 100 yards on 16 carries.

Wynn, a freshman, finished 14 for 28 with two TDs and his first interception before being relieved in the fourth quarter by Terrance Cain, who started the first eight games of the season. Wynn replaced Cain last week in a win over Wyoming because the Utes weren't completing drives. That wasn't a problem this week.

Wide, Jereme Brooks and Shakerin scored two touchdowns each as the Utes outgained the Lobos 557 yards to 334.

Donovan Porterie was 15 for 32 for 186 yards and a touchdown and B.R. Holbrook added a touchdown pass against the Utah reserves with 17 seconds left in the game for the Lobos.

New Mexico was still in the game at halftime, down only 17-7.

Wynn led the Utes 63 yards on the opening drive, completing a 20-yard screen pass to Shakerin, who bowled over a few Lobos at the goal line for his first career touchdown.

The speedy Brooks made it 31-7 on Utah's next drive, scoring on a 29-yard run with eight minutes left in the third. Brooks had to make a right-angle turn to avoid going out of bounds, but kept his feet in and darted down the Utah sideline for his second touchdown of the game.

Brooks also caught a 69-yard pass from Wynn to put Utah up 7-0 in the first quarter.

DeVonte Christopher set up Utah's next touchdown with a 10-yard punt return to the 35, where Wide took a handoff on first down to make it 38-7 with 4:06 still left in the third.

By the fourth quarter, it was time for the reserves for both teams to come in and finish it up.