Oct. 2, 2011
New Mexico Postgame Notes - Week 5 vs. New Mexico State
- Game captains for New Mexico: Redshirt freshman WR Deon Long, senior MLB Carmen Messina and junior FB Chris Biren.
- UNM's loss Saturday was its largest defeat to New Mexico State since 1968 when the Aggies won 33-6. NMSU's 42 points are the most since it scored 54 in 1967 (a 54-7 Aggie win).
- New Mexico State's touchdown (A Matt Christian 22-yard pass to Todd Lee) with 14:16 left in the first quarter was the fastest score against the Lobos this season.
- NMSU's 21 first-quarter points are the most against UNM this season. The Lobos have allowed 14 points or more in the first quarter in their last four games.
- The Lobos have been outscored 63-10 through five games in the first quarter.
- New Mexico's 12-play scoring drive (85 yards) in the second quarter tied its longest scoring drive of the season, in terms of number of plays (last done last week vs. Sam Houston State). Its 93-yard TD drive in the fourth quarter was its longest of the season in term of yards.
- Running back Demarcus Rogers (knee) played for the first time since Week 2 vs. Arkansas. He scored on a 9-yard run in the third quarter, marking the first points the Lobos have scored in the third quarter this season.
- The attendance of 30,091 was UNM's largest this season and nearly double last week's attendance of 16,313 vs. Sam Houston State. Offense
- B.R. Holbrook's 37 rushing yards are a career-high.
- True freshman RB Crusoe Gongbay scored a rushing TD for the third consecutive game with his 8-yard run with 8:17 left in the first half. His two TD runs are a career-high.
- Junior transfer Lamaar Thomas (broken bone in his back) played in his first game since Week 3 against Texas Tech. He caught two passes for 62 yards and a TD.
- Sophomore RB Demarcus scored his first career TD on a 9-yard run with 1:45 left in the third quarter.
- Senior WR Ty Kirk had 11 receptions for 90 yard yards. In his last two games, he has 24 receptions for 217 yards.
- Freshman WR Deon Long had 172 all-purpose yards on Saturday, giving him 808 for his last three games. Defense
- MLB Carmen Messina had nine tackles to move into ninth place on the UNM career tackles list with 355, surpassing Charlie Baker (1976-79).
- Senior CB Anthony Hooks recorded his first sack of the season when he got to NMSU QB Matt Christian on a blitz midway through the third quarter.
- Zach Dancel, a true freshman, made his first career start at free safety. Special Teams
- Sophomore Ben Skaer's 56-yard punt in the fourth quarter was his longest of the season. His four punts inside the Aggies' 20 were a season-high and three punts landed at the NMSU 3.