April 11, 2004
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - The No. 67 New Mexico men's tennis (12-5, 3-0) team took control of the Mountain West Conference with their 4-3 win over No. 71 San Diego State on Easter Sunday at the UNM Tennis Club. The Lobos are the only undefeated team in the conference.
Senior Divan Coetzee, ranked 27th nationally, battle to win the final match of his career at home. Coetzee defeated No. 44 Felix Hardt 2-6, 6-1, 6-2 at No. 1 singles to solidify the win for the Lobos. Coetzee is now 92-29 for his career at UNM and needs four more wins to tie the all-time win record at New Mexico currently held by Pepe Caballero (96-56). Coetzee, 33-9 overall and 15-4 at No. 1 this season, needs just two wins to break the single season win record of 34 set by Matt Amgwerd in 2000.
Juniors Ryan Stotland and David Kowalski upset No. 44-ranked Hardt and Ryan Redondo in No. 1 doubles with their 8-3 win. Coetzee and freshman Hiroud Akhavan teamed up to win at No. 2 over Markus Dickhardt and Dontia Haynes while Hodzic and Gers cruised to an 8-2 victory over Coehlo and Jung.
The Lobos hunt for their second consecutive regular season conference championship as they wrap up regular season play next weekend. They will play at Utah at 2 p.m. on Friday, April 16 and against BYU in Salt Lake City on Saturday, April 17 at 10 a.m.
No. 67 New Mexico d. No. 71 San Diego State 4-3
1. Stotland/Kowalski d. No. 44 Hardt/Redondo 8-3
2. Coetzee/Akhavan d. Dickhardt/Haynes 9-8
3. Hodzic/Gers d. Coehlo/Jung 8-2
1. No. 27 Divan Coetzee d. No. 44 Felix Hardt 2-6, 6-1, 6-2
2. Ryan Redondo d. David Kowalski 2-6, 7-6, 6-4
3. Markus Dickhardt d. Ryan Stotland 6-2, 7-6
4. Henry Gers d. Daniel Jung 6-1, 6-3
5. Dontia Haynes d. Hiroud Akhavan 6-3, 7-6, 1-0
6. Jasmin Hodzic d. Mike Coehlo 6-1, 7-6