April 17, 2011
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah.--- The University of New Mexico men's tennis team ended their final away match of the season with a solid victory. The 5-2 win capped off a two-match weekend in Utah, where the Lobos first fell in narrow defeat to BYU 4-3.
The Lobos took an early lead in the match, sweeping all three doubles matches to start the day. The no. 57 duo of Jadon Phillips and Phil Anderson led the doubles teams on court 1, where they defeated Benito Suriano and Alejandro Medinilla 8-3. Conor Berg and Ben Dunbar claimed their second doubles victory of the weekend, topping Matt Cowley and Gino Octa 8-3. Completing the doubles sweep was Carl Ho and Joe Wood with a 8-6 defeat over Dmytro Mamedov and Devin Lane.
Sophomore Jadon Phillips tallied the first singles win for New Mexico, overpowering Dmytro Mamedov. Phil Anderson was the next to win, defeating his court 4 opponent Alejandro Medinilla 6-1, 6-1.
Carl Ho clinched the match for the Lobos after downing Utah's Devin Lane 6-3, 6-3. Finalizing the score for New Mexico was Conor Berg. Berg secured the win in a three set match against Matt Cowley 3-6, 6-1, 6-2.
The weekend matches put New Mexico at 13-9 this season and 3-2 in the Mountain West Conference. The Lobos will wrap up the regular season with their final home match against Air Force Academy. The match is slated to begin at 12 p.m. Saturday, April 23.
#54 University of New Mexico 5, Utah 2
1. Jadon Phillips (UNM) def. Dmytro Mamedov (UU) 6-1
2. Benito Suriano (UU) def. Ben Dunbar (UNM) 6-2, 6-4
3. Carl Ho (UNM) def. Devin Lane (UU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Phil Anderson (UNM) def. Alejandro Medinilla (UU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Conor Berg (UNM) def. Matt Cowley (UU) 3-6, 6-1, 6-2
6. Ben Tasevac (UU) def. Joe Wood (UNM) 6-4, 5-7, 10-6
1. #57 Phil Anderson/Jadon Phillips (UNM) def. Benito Suriano/Alejandro Medinilla (UU) 8-3
2. Conor Berg/Ben Dunbar (UNM) def. Matt Cowley/Gino Octa (UU) 8-3
3. Carl Ho/Joe Wood (UNM) def. Dmytro Mamedov/Devin Lane (UU) 8-6