Dec. 3, 2011
Game 12: New Mexico Game Notes
At boise state, Bronco Stadium
- New Mexico team captains were junior quarterback B.R. Holbrook, senior linebacker Carmen Messina, senior defensive end Jaymar Latchison and senior safety Bubba Forrest.
- The Lobos were shut out for the third time this season. The last time New Mexico suffered three shutouts in a season was 1998.
- The 144 points scored and 12.0 points-per-game total was the lowest output for the Lobos since they scored 120 points overall and averaged 12.0 points per game in 1968.
- The 500 points UNM allowed this season was the second most in school history. The record is 532 points, set last year. The Lobos allowed more than 40 points per game in back-to-back seasons for the first time since 1987-88.
- WR Ty Kirk's 8-yard reception in the second quarter was his first catch since the Air Force game on Oct. 29.
- WR Deon Long's eight receptions were his most since the Sam Houston State game on Sept. 24. His 96 yards were the most since he had 99 against UNLV on Nov. 12.
- FB Chris Biren had his first carries of the season, rushing two times for 7 yards in the second half.
- RB Crusoe Gongbay finished with 17 rushing yards on the night to give him 500 on the season.
- WR Martize Barr had a career-high four receptions.
- MLB Carmen Messina became the Mountain West career record for tackles with his initial tackle in the first quarter. He had a career-high 21 tackles to give him 454 career stops. Messina reached double-digit tackles for the seventh straight game and ninth time in 10 games. He passed Brian Urlacher for third place on UNM's career tackles list. He also had his third pass breakup of the season in the third quarter.
- DT Reggie Ellis' sack of Boise State QB Kellen Moore with 37 seconds left in the first half was his first of the year.
- UNM S Dante Caro made his first career interception, picking off backup Broncos QB Joe Southwick in the fourth quarter.
- Senior safety Bubba Forrest had 10 tackles to finish the season with three double-digit tackle games. It was his first double-digit tackle effort since the Sam Houston State game (12) on Sept. 24.