April 5, 2009
BOISE, Idaho-- The 36th-ranked University of New Mexico men's tennis team lost only its third match of the season this afternoon, a narrow 4-3 decision to No. 23 Boise State. The Lobos were swept in the doubles point and put together a comeback in singles action, but couldn't pull out the win, dropping to 15-3 overall. Boise State improved to 15-7.
The Broncos, who are the toughest opponent the Lobos have played this season at a No. 23 ranking, dominated in doubles. Lobo seniors Johnny Parkes and Miles Bugby fell 8-2 to the 50th-ranked doubles combination in the nation, Kean Feeder and James Meredith at the No. 1 position, snapping a six-match win streak.
Down 1-0 after losing the doubles point, New Mexico dropped their first singles match, but rallied to win three straight matches. The final point would come down to freshman Phil Anderson's outcome in the six slot. At No. 1 singles, Parkes lost only his fourth set of the season, falling to #70 Kean Feeder 4-6. Parkes reloaded and took the following two sets, 6-2, 6-1, for his 11th straight singles victory. Bugby evened the score with a 6-3, 7-5 win over No. 71 James Meredith at the No. 3 position while Ben Dunbar gave the Lobos a lead with a 6-4, 2-6, 7-5 win over Stanley Sarapanich.
Graeme Kassautzki narrowly lost to No. 26 Clancy Shields at the No. 2 position. Kassautzki took the first set 6-2, but couldn't hold on in the second set, falling 6-7 and then 6-2 in the final set. Anderson's match was also close, a 5-7, 7-5, 6-2 loss to Blane Shields.
The Lobos are back in action against conference opponents next week, beginning Thursday, April 9, against TCU. UNM will match up with Utah on Friday, April 10, and BYU on Saturday, April 11. All three matches will take place in San Diego, Calif.
#23 Boise State University 4, #36 New Mexico 3
1. Johnny Parkes (NM) def. #70 Kean Feeder (BSU) 4-6, 6-2, 6-1
2. #26 Clancy Shields (BSU) def. Graeme Kassautzki (NM) 6-2, 6-7, 6-2
3. Miles Bugby (NM) def. #71 James Meredith (BSU) 6-3, 7-5
4. Cristian Hodel (BSU) def. Elliot Chang (NM) 6-4, 6-2
5. Ben Dunbar (NM) def. Stanley Sarapanich (BSU) 6-4, 2-6, 7-5
6. Blane Shields (BSU) def. Phil Anderson (NM) 5-7, 7-5, 6-2
1. #50 Kean Feeder/James Meredith (BSU) def. Miles Bugby/Johnny Parkes (NM) 8-2
2. Clancy Shields/Stanley Sarapanich (BSU) def. Graeme Kassautzki/Joe Wood (NM) 8-4
3. Blane Shields/Matt Solomon (BSU) def. Elliot Chang/Ben Dunbar (NM) 8-6
New Mexico 15-3; National ranking #36 Boise State University 15-7; National ranking #23 Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (4,1,3,5,2,6) T-4:00