Nov. 12, 2010
SOUTH BEND, Ind.---The University of New Mexico women's soccer team fell to No. 7 Notre Dame, 3-0 as they made their first NCAA appearance in school history. The Lobos ended the season in South Bend as they lost in the opening round of the postseason tournament.
At the 24:37 mark of the first half the Fighting Irish scored off a penalty kick taken by Notre Dame's Melissa Henderson. It was only the second penalty kick taken by a Lobo opponent this season, as the ball managed to slip past goalkeeper Kelli Cornell on the left side of the net.
Notre Dame controlled a majority of the offensive action in the first period as the Irish outshot New Mexico 7-1. Senior Kate Wyrick had the lone shot on goal for the Lobos in the first 45 minutes of action.
Ten minutes into the second half the Irish added another goal as Lauren Fowlkes shot a low ball inside the right post making the score 2-0. The goal marked the first game of the season that the New Mexico defense has allowed more than one goal in a game this season.
Less than a minute later freshman Liz Nare shot a ball high in the box off a corner kick from Jael Fanning but failed to find the back of the net.
As 25 minutes remained in the match, the Lobos tallied three close range shots in a 20 second span, two of which were blocked by the Irish defense. Notre Dame's Fowlkes then scored her second goal of the game as she headed in a cross from the left side at close range at the 70th minute mark.
The game ended in favor of the Irish, 3-0. It was only the third time this season the New Mexico squad has been shut out in a match.
The Lobos finished the game with seven shouts to Notre Dame's 20, and only had two shots on goal. Fouls were leveled at eight and the Irish held the edge on corner kicks, 4-2.
New Mexico finished the season 12-3-5 after the loss.
NEW MEXICO 2010 SEASON:
- Record: 12-3-5 overall, 5-0-2 in the Mountain West Conference
-First NCAA Tournament appearance in program history
- Went undefeated at home with a record of 6-0 in the UNM Soccer Complex
- Ranked as high as 17th in the Soccer America poll
- Currently ranked No. 32 in NCAA RPI as of Nov. 2
- Defeated No. 8 BYU on Oct. 16, 1-0 in double overtime
- Sophomore goalkeeper Kelli Cornell has allowed only eight goals this season
- The Lobos have not allowed more than one opponent goal per game
- New Mexico's defense is ranked second in Goals-Against Average (0.387) and Save Pct. (0.913) and eighth in Shutout Percentage (0.579)
- Cornell is fourth in NCAA rankings for Save Pct. (0.908) and fifth for Goals Against Average (0.396)
- The Lobos compiled an undefeated streak of 8-0-2 spanning from Sept. 17-Nov. 4
- Head coach Kit Vela was named MWC Coach of the Year
- Cornell was named MWC Defensive Player of the Year
- Junior forward Jennifer Williams was named MWC Offensive Player of the Year