Feb. 16, 2012
The University of New Mexico football team will hold a tryout day for UNM students interested in joining the program. The team will hold a meeting for prospective players Wednesday and a tryout a week from Wednesday (Feb. 29).
Three former Lobo walk-ons, fullback Jarrod Baxter (1998-2001), center Ryan Cook (2001-05) and deep snapper Joe Maese (1999-2000) played their way into NFL careers. Cook also was a three-time first-team All-Mountain West honoree from 2003-2005.
Several other former walk-ons have gone on to have distinguished Lobo careers:
- Brian Johnson (1997-2001) was a two-time first-team All-Mountain West defensive end and a team captain.
- Linebacker Mohammed Konte (2001) was a second-team all-conference honoree and a team captain.
- Quarterback Casey Kelly (1999-2003) is the winningest quarterback in Lobo history and was a team captain.
- Linebacker Mike Mohoric (2001-05) was a first-team all-conference selection and a team captain.
- Kickers Wes Zunker (2001-04), Kenny Byrd (2002-06), John Sullivan (2006-07) and James Aho (2008-11) each earned first-team All-Mountain West selections; Sullivan was a consensus All-American in 2007.
Also, six current Lobo on scholarship started off as walk-ons. A meeting for potential walk-ons is scheduled Wednesday at 5 p.m. on the second floor of the Tow Diehm Complex (on the south end of University Stadium. The tryouts themselves take place Feb. 29 at 5:30 p.m. Players should report to the Tow Diehm Complex then, as well.
These tryouts are for UNM students only. Tryouts for non-UNM students and high school seniors will take place in the summer.
For more information about the Lobo Football Walk-On program, contact the Lobo Football Office at 505-925-5700 or click here to go online at golobos.com.