March 14, 2010
FRESNO, Calif. --- The University of New Mexico men's tennis team managed to earn a point against 22nd-ranked Fresno State at the Bulldogs' Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center, eventually succumbing to Fresno State, 6-1. The Lobos are now 4-
Playing from the No. 6 position, Conor Berg beat Fresno State's Taylor Leiby 6-4, 6-3 to get New Mexico on the scoreboard. Berg, a true freshman, is now 12-9 in singles play this season.
Fellow freshman Jadon Phillips and sophomore Ben Dunbar took the Bulldogs' doubles team of Rikus de Villiers and Remi Boutillier to 14 games before eventually dropping the match 8-6. Boutillier and de Villiers are the No. 24-ranked doubles team in the country.
Playing at the No. 1 singles spot, Dunbar fell to Mirko Zapletal 6-4, 6-4, dropping Dunbar's season singles record to 11-10 and 3-3 in the Lobos' top singles spot. Zapletal's win clinched the Bulldogs.
Sophomore Carl Ho took de Villers to a super set at the No. 2 spot before bowing out 4-7, 7-6 (10-7) in the last match completed between the two squads.
Phillips dropped his singles match to Tejesvi Veerepalli, ranked No. 110, 6-4, 6-2, making him 16-9 this season.
"Fresno State is a good, senior-laden team," coach Alan Dils said. "The match was closer than the score indicated. We just played a team that knows how to win - which is something we're working towards right now.
"Our goal each match out is to make improvements in our game. We did that against Fresno State. We're getting better with each match and know what to work on to continue to get better."
NCAA MEN'S TENNIS
MARCH 14, 2010 - Fresno, Calif.
No. 22 Fresno State 6, New Mexico 1
Doubles (Fresno State wins the doubles point)
1. No. 24 Boutillier/de Villiers (FS) def. Anderson/Phillips (NM), 8-6
2. No. 44 Zapletal/Leiby (FS) def. Wood/Ho (NM), 8-5
3. Veerepalli/Alapati (FS) def. Dunbar/Berg (NM), 8-3
Order of Completion: 3, 1, 2
1. Mirko Zapletal (FS) def. Ben Dunbar (NM), 6-4, 6-4
2. Rikus de Villiers (FS) def. Carl Ho (NM), 4-6, 7-6, (10-7 )
3. No. 110 Tejesvi Veerepalli (FS) def. Jadon Phillips (NM), 6-4, 6-2
4. David Ayoun (FS) def. Phil Anderson (NM), 6-3, 6-3
5. Siddharth Alapati (FS) def. Joe Wood (NM), 6-2, 6-2
6. Conor Berg (NM) def. Taylor Leiby (FS), 6-4, 6-3