Feb. 11, 2011
TUCSON, Ariz.--- The Lobos suffered the first loss of the season Friday where they traveled to Tucson, Ariz. to take on the Wildcats. New Mexico started out the season with 5 straight wins at home but was unable to top Arizona on the road.
The Lobo duo of Jadon Phillips and Phil Anderson pulled out a strong win against opponents Kieren Thompson and Mario Urquidi 8-5, after teammates Conor Berg and Ben Dunbar were forced to retire because of a knee injury.
In singles, New Mexico put up a strong fight against the Wildcats but dropped all six matches to the no.43 ranked team.
Senior Joe Wood pushed to the end, forcing a three set match against Arizona's Geoff Embry. Wood dominated Embry in the first set 6-2, but was returned with a 6-3 defeat, and finally falling to the Wildcat in a 10-6 tie-breaker.
Freshman Mads Hegelund also played a solid three-set match pitted against Mario Urquidi. Hegelund dropped the first 6-0, but held his own picking up the second match 6-3. Urquidi closed the match with a final 6-1 set win.
The Lobos will face the University of San Diego Saturday at 12 p.m. in Tucson, Ariz.
1. Zafiros/Vidaller (UA) def. Berg/Dunbar (UNM) (ret.) inj.
2. Phillips/Anderson (UNM) def. Thompson/Urquidi (UA) 8-5
3. Malo/Goldman (UA) def. Wood/Ho (UNM) 8-3*
Order of finish, 1,3*,2
*Clinched doubles point
1. Jay Goldman (UA) def. Jadon Phillips (UNM) 6-4, 6-1
2. Andres Carrasco (UA) def. Phil Anderson (UNM) 6-2, 6-0
3. Jason Zafiros (UA) def. Carl Ho (UNM) 6-4, 6-1*
4. Andre Vidaller (UA) def. Conor Berg (UNM) 6-3, 6-1
5. Geoff Embry (UA) def. Joe Wood (UNM) 2-6, 6-3, 10-6
6. Mario Urquidi (UA) def. Mads Hegelund (UNM) 6-0, 3-6, 6-1
Order of finish, 4,2,3*,1,6,5
*Clinched the match