Dec. 1, 2010
New Mexico at Southern Illinois - Postgame Notes Wednesday, December 1, 2010 * Carbondale, Ill.
* New Mexico improves to 5-1 with a 74-59 victory at Southern Illinois. Southern Illinois falls to 3-4.
* The Lobos are now 2-0 in the Mountain West Conference-Missouri Valley Conference Challenge. UNM beat Creighton 66-61 last year in The Pit.
* The Lobos have won 45 straight games when allowing less than 60 points. The last loss was 51-46 to Air Force on Feb. 22, 2006. New Mexico is a perfect 38-0 under Steve Alford when allowing less than 60 points.
* New Mexico held SIU's top-three scorers - Gene Teague, Justin Bocot and John Freeman - to a combined 9 points.
* Southern Illinois came into the game outrebounding its first six opponents by 8.3 a game. UNM had a 37-32 advantage and has outrebounded its past two opponents by 16. The Lobos are 30-2 in their last 32 games when outrebounding the opponent.
* New Mexico was 7 of 16 from 3-point (44%) and has made 45% (15-33) the past two games.
* The Lobos held SIU to 27% (6-22) shooting from 3-point. Opponents are now shooting 23.4% (30-128) from beyond the arc.
* Sophomore reserve Chad Adams, one of 10 players to score in the first half, gave UNM an 18-17 lead and the Lobos never trailed again.
Head coach Steve Alford * 389-210 in his 20-year career * 81-27 in his fourth season at New Mexico * 6-2 in his career against Southern Illinois * 25-16 in road games at UNM
* Has joined Phil Smith (1981-84) as the only Lobos with 400 career assists and 400 career FTs made. Gary has 412 assists and 403 FTs in his 108-game UNM career.
* Passed Lamont Long (1997-2000) for 6th place all-time at UNM with 403 career FTs made
* After 14 assists and 16 turnovers the first three games, Gary has 16 and five the past three games
* Since the start of the 2008-09 season, UNM is 27-2 when Gary has five or more assists in a game.
* Made his 103rd consecutive start, which is tied for the longest current streak in the nation. He is tied with guard Kevin Anderson of Richmond, who also made his 103rd consecutive start tonight for the Spiders.
Sophomore F Emmanuel Negedu * Tied a career-high with 11 points and set a career-high with 8 rebounds in only 10 minutes off the bench * Previous career-highs came his freshman season at Tennessee in 2008-09: 11 points against LSU and 7 rebounds against Tennessee-Martin * 9 points and 5 rebounds in the 2nd half
Junior G Phillip McDonald * 11 points and a game-high 9 rebounds * 1 rebound shy of his career-high of 10 set against Grambling his freshman season
Sophomore G Jamal Fenton * 10 points and 5 assists in 23 minutes off the bench
Freshman F Cameron Bairstow * Ended his streak of consecutive field goals made at nine. He went 4-for-4 against both Northwood and San Diego and made his first shot tonight. He missed his last field goal attempt in the second half of the California game, and the streak ended tonight with a missed tip with 11:47.