Nov. 24, 2012
New Mexico Basketball Postgame Notes
Saturday, Nov. 24, 2012
UNM vs. No. 8/9 Georgia *** The Pit, Albuquerque, N.M.
- New Mexico loses to No. 8/9 Georgia by a score of 72-42 in the championship game of the Lobos' Thanksgiving Tournament in The Pit in Albuquerque, N.M.
- Georgia's Jasmine Jones was named Tournament MVP, while teammate Jasmine Hassell was named to the All-Tournament team, along with Caroline Durbin (New Mexico), Sara Halasz (New Mexico), Laura McCoy (North Texas), CeCe Dixon (St. Bonaventure).
First Half: New Mexico 17, Georgia 39
- After trading baskets early, Georgia posted a 16-1 run in the first half that spanned 7 minutes, 53 seconds (from the 17:15 mark to the 9:22 mark).
- New Mexico went 9:03 between made baskets in the first half. Sara Halasz converted a fastbreak layup at the 18:25 mark in the first half and the Lobos did not make a field goal again until Halasz hit a mid-range jumper at the 9:22 mark ... During the drought, New Mexico shot 0-of-8 from the floor and committed 11 turnovers, while Khadijah Shumpert shot 1-of-2 from the free throw line.
- New Mexico shot 25.9 percent (7-of-27) from the field in the first half, its lowest percentage since shooting 22.7 percent (5-of-22) vs. San Diego State on Feb. 15, 2012 in The Pit.
- New Mexico scored 17 points in the first half, its fewest since scoring 19 vs. Arizona on Dec. 21, 2011 in the McKale Center in Tucson, Ariz.
- New Mexico turned the ball over 15 times in the first half, nearly matching the total number of miscues from each of its last three games (17 a game vs. North Texas, New Mexico State and Houston Baptist) ... The 15 turnovers in the first half were the most by the Lobos since committing 17 in the opening period vs. Texas Tech in Lubbock, Texas on Nov. 11, 2011.
Second Half: New Mexico 42, Georgia 72
- Georgia opened the half on a 9-0 run, which ended when New Mexico's Bryce Owens hit a three-point basket at the 15:02 mark.
- The Lobos did not make a shot from inside the three-point line until the 6:38 mark after Whitney Johnson made a layup ... The only New Mexico field goals during that span were three treys by Owens (1) and Durbin (2).
- New Mexico closed the game on a 12-4 run ... Georgia only made just two field goals in the final five minutes of the contest.
- New Mexico scored 42 points in the game, the fewest since scoring 40 vs. TCU in the 2011 MW Tournament on March 11, 2011.
- New Mexico turned the ball over 24 times in the game, the most since committing the same number vs. Boise State in the 2012 MW Tournament on March 9, 2012.
- New Mexico shot 29.4 percent (15-of-51) from the field in the game, its lowest percentage since shooting 28.9 percent (13-of-45) vs. San Diego State on in the championship game of the 2012 MW Tournament on March 10, 2012.
- The 72 points scored by Georgia are the most vs. New Mexico since San Diego State scored 77 in San Diego on Jan. 18, 2012.
- Despite the loss, New Mexico is 5-1, the best opening record for a Lobos team since the 2008-09 squad opened at 11-1.
- First game vs. a ranked opponent since beating No. 20/21 TCU by a score of 60-53 on Jan. 30, 2010 in The Pit in Albuquerque ... First loss to a ranked opponent since losing to No. 10/10 Texas A&M by a score of 84-69 on Dec. 30, 2009 in The Pit in Albuquerque.
- This was the first meeting between New Mexico and Georgia.
Head Coach Yvonne Sanchez
- 16-21 in her two seasons at New Mexico; 5-1 in 2012
- 0-1 vs. ranked teams as a head coach.
- First career game as a coach vs. Georgia
Senior G Caroline Durbin
- Scored 12 points on 4-of-11 shooting in 33 minutes of play
- Scored in double figures for the fifth time in 2012
- Shot 4-of-5 from three-point range ... Tied a career high in 3-pointers made, with the other time being vs. Loyola Marymount on Dec. 1, 2011
- Pulled down a team-high 9 rebounds ... Was a single rebound shy of her second double- double of the season
- Played all but one minute in the first half
RS Junior G Sara Halasz
- Scored a team-high 14 points on 5-of-11 shooting in 27 minutes of play
- Has scored in double figures every game in 2012
- Set a season high in field goals attempted with 11 ... Previous high was 10 vs. Northern Arizona on Nov. 9, 2012
Freshman G Bryce Owens
- Scored 3 points on 1-of-7 shooting (1-of-5 from three-point range) in a game-high 37 minutes of play
- Played all but one minute in the first half and two minutes in the second half
Senior F Jourdan Erskine
- Scored two points on 1-of-4 shooting in 20 minutes of play
- After setting career highs in rebounding the last two games, Erskine grabbed 4 rebounds.
RS Junior F Deeva Vaughn
- Scored 2 points on 1-of-5 shooting in 12 minutes of play
- Picked up four fouls early in the second half, limiting her action
Freshman F Khadijah Shumpert
- Scored 7 points on 2-of-4 shooting (3-of-10 from the free-throw line) in a career-high 21 minutes of play
- Set a new career high in minutes played with 21 ... Previous high was 16 vs. Northern Arizona on Nov. 9, 2012
- Set a new career high in free throws attempted with 10 ... Previous high was 8 vs. Northern Arizona on Nov. 9, 2012