March 13, 2011
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M.--- The no. 40 men's tennis team earned a 4-3 victory over the University of Nevada- Las Vegas Sunday afternoon. After dropping a home match the Friday before, the Lobos came back strong on Sunday to edge out a sold win over the Rebels.
The Lobos took the advantage first by winning the doubles point. Jadon Phillips and Phil Anderson tallied the first win for New Mexico, besting UNLV's Alex Bull and Rene Ruegamer 8-6. Carl Ho and Matthew Neeld followed right behind them with a 8-7 win over Tamas Batyi and Bernard Shoeman.
The Rebels managed to pick up an edge against the Lobos, sweeping three matches in a row on courts 1, 3, and 5. But, with a 2-6, 6-1, 6-2 win from Senior Joe Wood the Lobos were back in the match.
New Mexico would tie the match with a tough win from Ben Dunbar. Dunbar took his opponent to three sets, finally pushing past Johannes Markel 1-6, 6-0, 7-6.
Finishing only seconds behind Dunbar, Carl Ho sealed the 4-3 victory for the Lobos. Ho slid past Rene Ruegamer in the final match of the day 6-3, 2-6, 6-4.
"We were down and we found a way to win." Head Coach Alan Dils said of the match. "A win is a win no matter how you get it. It always feels good to win your first opener in conference."
The victory may not have been the easiest one for the Lobos, but no matter how tough the competition they will do all they can to prevail.
New Mexico will travel to Boise, ID. for their next match. The Lobos are slated to face the Boise State Broncos at 1 p.m. MT.
#40 New Mexico 4, #48 UNLV 3
1. Mehdi Bouras (UNLV) def. Jadon Phillips (NM) 6-2, 7-6
2. Ben Dunbar (NM) def. Johannes Markel (UNLV) 1-6, 6-0, 7-6
3. Tamas Batyi (UNLV) def. Phil Anderson (NM) 6-2, 6-4
4. Carl Ho (NM) def. Rene Ruegamer (UNLV) 6-3, 2-6, 6-4
5. Bernard Schoeman (UNLV) def. Conor Berg (NM) 6-4, 6-4
6. Joe Wood (NM) def. Alex Bull (UNLV) 2-6, 6-1, 6-2
1. Mehdi Bouras/Johannes Markel (UNLV) def. Ben Dunbar/Conor Berg (NM) 8-6
2. Jadon Phillips/Phil Anderson (NM) def. Alex Bull/Rene Ruegamer (UNLV) 8-6
3. Carl Ho/Matthew Neeld (NM) def. Tamas Batyi/Bernard Schoeman (UNLV) 8-7