Jan. 21, 2011
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M.---The University of New Mexico men's tennis team opened their Spring season with a victory over the DePaul University Blue Demons. The Lobos came out strong at home Friday night, beating DePaul 6-1.
Doubles set the pace for the Lobos taking 2 of 3 matches against the Blue Demons. Lobo duo Jadon Phillips and Phil Anderson earned the first victory of the night, defeating George Chanturia and Matija Palinic 8-3.
Senior Joe Wood came out strong, earning the first singles win of the night against Blue Demon Ben Hartman. Wood's steady play helped him cruise to a straight set 6-1, 6-4 victory.
Conor Berg pulled out a tense second set tiebreak to clinch his match against Bartosz Dzansko, 6-1, 7-6, settling the Lobos triumph over the Demons. The win also tallied Berg's dual match streak to an impressive 13 straight wins.
Although the Lobos were confident and in control throughout the match, Berg's clutch win lifted a weight off the Lobos shoulders and allowed the remaining players to breath easier the rest of the night.
The Lobos will take on Texas A&M Corpus Christi at home on Monday, Jan. 24. The Islanders are 1-1 so far on the season after a shut out victory over Utah State 7-0.
1. Jadon Phillips def. Sven Kasper 6-4, 6-3
2. Ben Dunbar def. Matija Palinic 6-1, 7-6
3. George Chanturia def Carl Ho 6-2, 3-6, 10-8
4. Phil Anderson def. Filip Dzansko 6-3, 6-4
5. Conor Berg def. Bartosz Jowiak 6-1, 7-6
6. Joe Wood def. Ben Hartman 6-1, 6-2
1. Conor Berg/Ben Dunbar (UNM) def. Bartosz Jozwiak/Sven Kasper (DU) 8-4
2. Jadon Phillips/Phil Anderson (UNM) def. George Chanturia/Matija Palinic 8-3
3. Ben Hartman/Filip Dzanko (DU) def. Joe Wood/Carl Ho (UNM) 6-8
Order of Finish:
Doubles (2, 1, 3)
Singles (6, 5, 4, 2, 1, 3)