Feb. 29, 2004
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - The No. 56 New Mexico men's tennis team (4-1) rebounded from a disappointing loss Friday with a solid 6-1 win over the Colorado Buffaloes in Albuquerque Sunday morning.
The Lobos came out strong to win the doubles point. The 46th-ranked tandem of juniors Ryan Stotland and David Kowalski breezed through their doubles match at No. 1 to win 8-4 over Marcos Digliodo and Chad Tsuda. Senior Jasmin Hodzic and sophomore Henry Gers clinched the doubles point at No. 3, beating Marko Bundalo and Elliott Quibell, 8-5. The No. 2 duo of senior Divan Coetzee and freshman Hiroud Akhavan completed the doubles sweep, rallying from a 3-1 deficit to win 9-7 over Peter Bjork and Marek Dvorak.
Kowalski and Stotland jumped out to quick singles wins, leaving the Lobos needing one more point for the win. Kowalski netted a 6-0, 6-2 win at No. 2 over Bjork while Stotland downed Dvorak, 6-3, 6-3 at No. 4. Sealing the win, Hodzic earned a 6-4, 6-1 win over Tsuda at No. 5.
No. 29 Coetzee won his fifth straight at No. 1, beating Digliodo 6-3, 6-1. Sophomore Nick Ames battled for the 6-4, 6-4 win at No. 6 over Quibell.
New Mexico takes a trip to the east coast to take on Yale, Harvard and Brown. The Lobos will visit Yale on March 4, for a 2:30 p.m. EST start.
NEW MEXICO VS. COLORADO
1. Kowalski/Stotland d. Digliodo/Tsuda 8-4
2. Coetzee/Akhavan d. Bjork/Dvorak 9-7
3. Gers/Hodzic d. Bundalo/Quibell 8-5
1. Divan Coetzee d. Marcos Digliodo 6-3, 6-1
2. David Kowalski d. Peter Bjork 6-0, 6-2
3. Marko Bundalo d. Hiroud Akhavan 6-2, 7-5
4. Ryan Stotland d. Marek Dvorak 6-3, 6-3
5. Jasmin Hodzic d. Chad Tsuda 6-4, 6-1
6. Nick Ames d. Elliott Quibell 6-4, 6-4