March 11, 2011
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M.--- The no. 40 Lobos fell 6-1 to the Texas Tech Red Raiders Friday afternoon. New Mexico, now 9-4 on the season, put up a good fight against the Red Raiders but could not hold off the no. 19 team.
Tech took the first point, sweeping all three doubles matches. The Lobo tandem of Jadon Phillips and Phil Anderson came close to upsetting their opponents, but were edged out 8-6.
In singles, New Mexico claimed its first and only victory of the match from Conor Berg. The Sophomore was nothing but skill and determination on the court as he overpowered Gabriel Wanderley 6-4, 6-2.
Despite the defeat from Texas Tech, the Lobos played some of their best tennis. Junior Phil Anderson battled his opponent down to the wire, barely droppin the match 7-6, 7-6.
The match-up was one of the hardest New Mexico has faced so far this season and will be a good preparation for the Lobos MWC conference opener against UNLV on Sunday. The match is set to begin at 12 p.m. at the Linda Estes Tennis Complex.
#18 Texas Tech University 6, #40 New Mexico 1
1. Gonzalo Escobar (TTU) def. Jadon Phillips (NM) 6-1, 6-1
2. Raony Carvalho (TTU) def. Ben Dunbar (NM) 6-2, 6-4
3. Rafael Garcia (TTU) def. Phil Anderson (NM) 7-6, 7-6
4. Vitor Manzini (TTU) def. Carl Ho (NM) 1-6, 6-4, 6-4
5. Conor Berg (NM) def. Gabriel Wanderley (TTU) 6-4, 6-2
6. Raphael Pfister (TTU) def. Mads Hegelund (NM) 6-3, 6-4
1. Raony Carvalho/Rafael Garcia (TTU) def. Ben Dunbar/Conor Berg (NM) 8-3
2. Gonzalo Escobar/Vitor Manzini (TTU) def. Jadon Phillips/Phil Anderson (NM) 8-6
3. Raphael Pfister/Jeff Bryan (TTU) def. Carl Ho/Matthew Neeld (NM) 8-4