Dec. 19, 2010
Sunday, December 19, 2010 - Albuquerque, N.M.
- New Mexico improves to 9-1 with an 84-58 triumph over The Citadel in the Las Vegas Classic. The Lobos have won seven in a row and are 39-6 since the start of the 2009-10 season.
- UNM is at least 9-1 after 10 games for the 8th time in the past 15 seasons
- The Lobos have won 29 straight home games in the month of December. The last loss was Dec. 22, 2004, to 5th-ranked Wake Forest, 81-64. UNM has no remaining December home games in 2010.
- UNM has won 14 straight home games overall and 18 in a row at home against non-conference competition. The last non-conference home loss was to UTEP (73-60) on Jan. 6, 2009.
- Attendance was 14,640...average attendance for seven home games in 2010-11 is 14,814
- The Lobos shot 51% and made 23 of their last 40 attempts (57.5%) after starting 6 of 17 (35%). UNM hit its first seven FGs to begin the second half and opened the stanza on a 16-2 run.
- UNM had a season-high 24 assists on 29 FGs made
- UNM tied a season-high with 42 points in the 1st half; also 42 at New Mexico State Dec. 4
- The Citadel missed 10 of its last 11 shots to end the first half, then missed its first two tries of the 2nd half
- UNM had a 23-3 scoring advantage in Points off Turnovers, and it's 54-4 in the Lobos' favor the past two games. New Mexico has committed just 14 turnovers the past two games while forcing 33.
- The Lobos have had a 20-point lead at some point in all seven home games and at least a 17-point lead in all nine wins this season
- UNM is 36-1 under Steve Alford when scoring 80 points or more
- UNM is 33-2 in its last 35 games when outrebounding its opponent; the Lobos had a 35-26 edge today and it's 125-80 UNM the past 3 games, including 46-17 on the offensive end
- The Lobos have won 47 straight games when allowing less than 60 points. The last loss was 51-46 to Air Force on Feb. 22, 2006. New Mexico is now a perfect 40-0 under Steve Alford when allowing less than 60 points.
Head coach Steve Alford
- Coached his 603rd career game
- 393-210 in his 20-year coaching career
- 85-27 in his fourth season at New Mexico
- 56-5 in The Pit overall, 35-2 against non-conference competition
Senior G Dairese Gary
- 7 assists and 0 turnovers in 21 minutes
- 23 assists and 3 turnovers the past 3 games
- Passed BYU's Matt Montague (2000-02) for 4th place all-time in Mountain West Conference history with 440 career assists
- Since the start of 2008-09, UNM is 30-2 when Gary has five or more assists in a game
- Remains in 23rd place all-time at UNM with 1,117 career points
- 6th all-time at UNM with 420 FTs made and 6th with 572 FTs attempted
- Made his 107th consecutive start, which is the longest current streak in the nation. Richmond's Kevin Anderson has started 106 in a row.
Junior G Phillip McDonald
- Game-highs for points (17) and rebounds (6)
- Scored in double figures in all 7 games he's played in 2010-11
- Leading UNM in scoring (13.1 ppg) and rebounding (6.4 rpg) this season
Freshman G Kendall Williams
- Set a career-high for the second straight game with 8 assists; he has 14 assists and 1 turnover the past two games
- Tied a career-high with 7 FTs made and set a career-best with 10 FTs attempted
Junior F A.J. Hardeman
- Tied a season-high with 12 points making 6-7 FGs; also had 12 against Arizona State
- UNM is 18-1 when he's scored in double figures in his career
- Started his 45th consecutive game today
Sophomore G/F Chad Adams
- 11 points off the bench
- 3-3 FGs on a career-high three 3-pointers made and attempted
- 26 points the past 2 games, 23 of those coming in the second half
- 10-12 FGs the past 2 games
Junior F Drew Gordon
- The transfer from UCLA made his Lobo debut today; finished with 11 points, 3 rebounds and 1 block in 20 minutes
- Played in his first collegiate game since Nov. 29, 2009 when he scored two points and had one rebound against Long Beach State