Nov. 11, 2004
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - The University of New Mexico men's golf program announced today that four prospective student-athletes will be enrolling at the University of New Mexico in the fall of 2005. Signed letters of intent were received from Nick Geyer (Aurora Hills, Calif.), Steve Saunders (Albuquerque, N.M.), Dan Saltz (Scottsdale, Ariz.) and Guillermo Chavez (Clovis, N.M.).
Coach Glen Millican on this class, "I am very happy with our 2005 class of signees. It is always nice to be able to sign several guys that we were looking at when we began recruiting the 2005 class. Each of these guys had very good junior golf careers and all have the ability to be great college golfers. Combining them with our already talented team will allow us to fill in some holes that will be left after this season."
1) Nick Geyer, Agoura Hills, Calif.
- 2003 Prep League MVP
- 3 year 1st Team All Prep League
- 3 year winner of the Team's Varden Award as MVP
- 3 year Captain of the Golf Team
- Set school record with a (-5) par 29 for nine holes
- Finished the 2003 season 6th in scoring on the AJGA @ 71.0
- Set the competitive course record at Sunriver Resort (Meadows Course) shooting 67. (First round of the AJGA Ping Junior @ Sunriver Resort)
- 2 Top 5's and a Top10 in AJGA Open events during the 2003-2004 seasons
2) Steve Saunders, Albuquerque, N.M.
- La Cueva High School
- 3rd place @ AJGA Southwestern Junior (Albuquerque)
- 7th place @ AJGA Transamerica
- competed in 2004 USGA Junior Amateur
3) Dan Saltz, Scottsdale, Ariz.
- 9th place @ AJGA Rolex Tournament of Champions
- 2004 Arizona HS Regional Medalist
- 5th place @ 2004 Arizona State HS Championship
4) Guillermo Chavez, Clovis, N.M.
- 1st place @ AJGA Lubbock Junior
- 2nd place @ AJGA PING Junior @ Sunriver
- 9th place @ AJGA Heather Farr Classic