Holding Court With ... Rachel Barber
Courtesy: New Mexico Athletics  
Release:  09/01/2008
Courtesy: New Mexico Athletics

Sept. 1, 2008

2008 Lobo Volleyball Blog

Each week during the 2008 season a different Lobo will fill you in on what is going on in the life of the New Mexico Volleyball Team. Look for a new blog each Monday morning throughout the season.

September 1 - Rachel Barber, freshman outside hitter, Phoenix, Ariz.


This past week was filled with tons of exciting new stuff, school started as well as the best Lobo volleyball season!

I'll start with school, being a freshman I had a ton of expectations of what college would be like, the majority of them were completely wrong! Thankfully I've been here for so long already, I have my groundings and could navigate on campus so I didn't have to walk around with a map in front of my nose the whole time. The construction however definitely caused me to take different routes. My classes are pretty standard 101 classes and I thought they would be much, much bigger but they only have twenty five to thirty kids in them, which is nice.

Meeting tons of new people is also fun, during preseason we were solely around the team and I think I almost forgot there would be other people around when school started and in the dorms. Its so awesome how many people go to UNM from other countries, meeting the ski team especially was a highlight. The dorms here are awesome, they are so nice. I never thought my college dorm would be this well equipped. I am rooming with Ashley Rhoades, which is nice because we get along very well, and two other girls. We all do very well together, sharing and understanding boundaries at the same time.

Enough about school, on to volleyball! This week kicked off with having Sunday and Monday off which was a huge treat for us, it felt so great. We haven't had two days off since we've been here so it was a treasured time that mostly consisted of sleeping and eating. Tuesday was our second day of class and we had weights and practice. I had a class the ended at 1:45 and had to rush over to weights but was still a few minutes late and had to catch up. Lifting was something I always did back home so it wasn't a huge change aside from working out with fifteen other people doing the same thing and using the same equipment you are.

Then our first practice on a school day was filled with one-on-one sessions with Jeff, to be honest I was terrified for my turn to come around and I thought it might not because I was last. When it did I talked to Jeff about health and happiness, he told me to get vitamins! Then we discussed the probability of me red-shirting, which was definitely a hard decision for me to make. After talking it over with my coaches, friends, and family I decided it would be the best thing for me. This also did come with huge disappointments.

On a lighter note, everyone coming together and talking about the first couple days of school was exciting and troubling. So many of my teammates are really struggling with switching classes or full classes. Wednesday and Thursday were standard practice days. We played a lot of wash drills and drills that consist of getting to play six-on-six which is always the most fun type. On one of these days we got to play trench ball which is super intense, all of our warm up games like this I never expected in college but I'm lovin it!

Friday was the first day of our tournament and my first serve and pass practice of my college career! Friday night was an exciting time for the team, the freshman especially. Doing our pre-match talk and dancing to crazy music to get pumped up was a memorable moment. When warm-up started I had to make sure this was a real. The match against Central Arkansas went pretty smoothly, beating the Sugar Bears was an exciting first win, except seeing Lisa (Meeter) get hurt. The team was super worried but compensated very well. After the match on Friday I gave out my first autograph! It was exciting signing programs, shirts, and volleyballs along with taking pictures with tons of kids!

Saturday we played Idaho State. That match was memorable to me because the two other freshman that who aren't red-shirts got to play. I went absolutely crazy when Ashley got the first kill of her college career!

Saturday night we played Loyola Marymount. This team was significantly better than the other two teams we played and we were definitely ready for it. We have worked so hard the past three weeks no one was going to even win a game on our home court. Taking all three teams in three games was awesome. It showed me the benefit of nearly dying in pre-season, all the team's hard work paid off. At the end of the LMU match we were announced as champions and got sweet backpacks! Our first trophy of the season and I'm sure there will be many more to come.

Have a great week and Go Lobos!

Rachel Barber

Saturday, August 22
7:00 PM - 
vs. Alumnae (Exhibition)
Friday, August 28
8:00 AM - 
at Belmont
3:00 PM - 
at Albany
Saturday, August 29
5:00 PM - 
at Ball State