Air Force Rallies in Second Half for 3-2 Win Over New Mexico
Courtesy: New Mexico Athletics  
Release:  10/10/2010
Courtesy: New Mexico Athletics

Oct. 10, 2010

Final Stats

Complete Stat Package: Air Force 3, New Mexico 2 Get Acrobat Reader

Albuquerque, N.M. --- Once again it looks as if the New Mexico men's soccer team had the game in hand, owning a statistical advantage. Air Force apparently didn't care about that. The Falcons, down 1-0, scored the tying and go ahead goals just 38 seconds apart, and then added a third just 3:54 later as they took down the Lobos 3-2 at the UNM Soccer Complex, putting both teams at 1-2 in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation.

New Mexico dominated the first half, outshooting the Falcons 12-2, although Air Force had perhaps the best chance as Brian Klazura hit a rocket that Lobo keeper Justin Holmes deflected over the crossbar with two seconds left in the half.

New Mexico drew first blood just 4:59 into the second half when Michael Reed took a pass from Josh Caffey, touched it into the middle of the field and hit a low liner that Falcon keeper Matt Underwood never saw. The ball went into the lower left corner for Reed's first of the year, giving New Mexico a 1-0 lead. Caffey nearly made it 2-0 just 1:20 later, but his header off a Blake Smith cross rang off the crossbar behind a helpless Underwood.

The Falcons tied it at 1-1 when Zane Dydasco took a ball into the box, beat a defender to the right side of the six and hit the far left side netting past a sliding Holmes. Just 38 second later, the Falcons took the lead for good. Kyle Moses took a shot from 15 yards out, and it hit Holmes up high, and he couldn't control the rebound. The ball bounced to the six where Caleb Downey came flying in and just beat Holmes to it, crushing the ball into the back of the net for his first of the year and a 2-1 lead.

Air Force then got an insurance goal when Dydasco found Kevin Durr about 25 yards out, and he rocketed home a shot to the lower left corner and in just a span of 5:32, it was 3-1 Air Force.

New Mexico tried to rally, but couldn't penetrate until it was too late. Patrick Pacheco took a shot from around 30 yards out that clanged off the crossbar within a minute of the third Air Force goal. UNM finally got it back to a one-goal game when Reed hit a long ball to the back edge of the six, where Lance Rozeboom headed it back across the goal mouth. Michael Kafari raced in a slid into the ball to score it with just 14 seconds left, but it was too late.

The two teams combined for 22 shots in the second half, and the game was a bit chippy with 31 fouls total. Justin Holmes for New Mexico returned to the nets and registered five saves, while Matt Underwood for Air Force had six.

The Lobos head on the road next week for a pair of divisional matches. The Lobos travel to Denver on Friday and then Air Force on Saturday. The Lobos return home on Friday, October 22 when New Mexico hosts Seattle on Think Pink night, as the first 250 fans will get a free t-shirt.

NOTES: The win was Air Force's first road win of the year ... the Lobos two home losses over the weekend in MPSF play equaled the total home conference from 2002 ... James Urbany, Lance Rozeboom, and David Murphy all received yellow cards ... Devon Sandoval left the game early in the second half and didn't return.

Saturday, August 15
7:00 PM -
Men's Soccer
vs. Air Force (Exhibition)
Wednesday, August 19
7:00 PM -
Men's Soccer
vs. Grand Canyon (Exhibition)
Saturday, August 22
7:00 PM -
Men's Soccer
at Denver (Exhibition)
Saturday, August 29
5:00 PM - 
Men's Soccer