April 24, 2008
FORT WORTH, Texas - No. 2 New Mexico shut out seventh-seeded Air Force by a score of 4-0 on Thursday in the quarterfinals of the 2008 Mountain West Conference Men's Tennis Championships at the Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center. The Lobos improved to 19-7 overall this season with the win.
The Lobos jumped out to the quick 1-0 lead in the match with two victories at the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles positions. Brothers Chris and Johnny Parkes began play with an 8-0 shutout of Austin Francis and Alex Beaussart, while Graeme Kassautzki and Joe Wood also blanked the Falcons' Greg Ferry and Harrison Maloy to clinch the point.
New Mexico quickly posted three straight-set victories to seal the match against Air Force. Pajkowski recorded a 6-1, 6-1 win over Kyle Epperson at the No. 6 position to begin the scoring.
Jones, ranked No. 69 nationally, followed with a 6-0, 6-2 defeat of Rodgers at the top spot to put New Mexico up 3-0, while Graeme Kassautzki, UNM's season victories leader (21-9), sealed the match with a 6-1, 6-1 win over Soster at the No. 3 slot.
New Mexico will face No. 6 San Diego State in the semifinals on Friday at 10 a.m. CDT. The Aztecs recorded a 4-1 upset of No. 3 Utah earlier on Thursday. In the April 6 meeting in Albuquerque between the Lobos and Aztecs, UNM came out with a 5-2 victory. San Diego State won the doubles point but New Mexico bounced back winning on five of the six singles courts. The Lobos hold a slight 24-18 lead over the Aztecs in the series history.
No. 2 New Mexico (19-7) def. No. 7 Air Force (10-15), 4-0
1. No. 69 Max Jones (UNM) def. Brett Rodgers (AF) 6-0, 6-2
2. Johnny Parkes (UNM) vs. Austin Francis (AF) 6-2, 4-2, unf.
3. Graeme Kassautzki (UNM) def. Taylor Soster (AF) 6-1, 6-1
4. Miles Bugby (UNM) vs. Johnny Buckingham (AF) 6-2, 3-2, unf.
5. Chris Parkes (UNM) vs. Alex Beaussart (AF) 6-3, 4-0, unf.
6. Kamil Pajkowski (UNM) def. Kyle Epperson (AF) 6-1, 6-1
Order of Finish: 6, 1, 3*
1. Jones/Pajkowski (UNM) vs. Rodgers/Soster (AF) 5-1, unf.
2. Parkes/Parkes (UNM) def. Francis/Beaussart (AF) 8-0
3. Kassautzki/Wood (UNM) def. Ferry/Maloy (AF) 8-0
Order of Finish: 2, 3*