April 1, 2011
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M.--- The University of New Mexico men's tennis team took down San Diego State Friday afternoon at the Linda Estes Tennis Complex. The win put the Lobos at 12-7 on the season and 2-0 in the Mountain West Conference. New Mexico secured the win with ease after taking an early advantage sweeping all three doubles matches.
Carl Ho and Joe Wood were the first Lobo duo to defeat their Aztec opponents, winning 8-2. Jadon Phillips and Phil Anderson followed suit, downing their opponents 8-6. Finalizing the sweep was Conor Berg and Ben Dunbar who edged past SDSU 8-8 (7-3.)
New Mexico also had a good afternoon on the singles side, taking 5 of 6 matches. In the Lobos no.1 spot, Jadon Phillips topped San Diego's Giovanni Vaglietti 3-6, 6-3, 6-4.
The Lobos will continue conference play next weekend where they will travel to Fort Worth, Texas to take on TCU. The match against the Horned Frogs is set to begin at 6 p.m. MT on Friday April, 8.
#51 New Mexico 5, San Diego State University 2
1. Jadon Phillips (NM) def. Giovanni Vaglietti (SDSU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
2. Ben Dunbar (NM) def. Tim Schulz van Ender (SDSU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Javier Pulgar (SDSU)def. Carl Ho (NM) def. 7-6, 6-7, 3-2 RET.
4. Conor Berg (NM) def. Andre Feliz (SDSU) 2-6, 7-5, 6-4
5. Joe Wood (NM) def. Juan Florez (SDSU) 2-6, 6-5, 6-2
6. Jose Sierra Short (SDSU) def. Mads Hegelund (NM) 6-2, 6-1
1. Phillips/Anderson (NM) def. Vaglietti/ Nicholas (SDSU) 8-6
2. Berg/ Dunbar (NM) def. Pulgar/ Schulz van Ender (SDSU) 8-8, (7-3)
3. Ho/Wood (NM) def. Florez/ Sierra Short (SDSU)