April 9, 2010
LAS VEGAS, Nev. - The University of New Mexico men's tennis team lost to No. 66 UNLV, 4-3, today at the Fertitta Tennis Center. The bottom half of the Lobos lineup pulled out two-set wins while the top half couldn't secure a win. The Lobos drop to 6-9 overall and 1-2 in Mountain West Conference action while UNLV ups its record to 11-8, 1-1 in the MWC.
The Rebels are a perfect 11-0 at home this season, while New Mexico continues its road struggles, falling to 1-7 away from Albuquerque
New Mexico dropped the doubles point, putting them in an early 1-0 hole. The No. 2 and No. 3 positions split with Ben Dunbar and Conor Berg securing an 8-6 win at the No. 2 slot. Mehdi Bouras and Luca Barlocchi narrowly got past Phil Anderson and Jadon Phillips at the No. 1 spot, 9-8, to give the Rebels the edge.
Down 1-0, Anderson, Wood and Berg all picked up wins at the No. 4-6 positions, respectively, while Ho fought to a third set, eventually falling 3-6, 7-6, 6-3.
The Lobos quickly travel to San Diego to take on No. 75 San Diego State on Sunday, April 11 at 12 p.m.
#66 UNLV 4, University of New Mexico 3
1. Mehdi Bouras (UNLV) def. Ben Dunbar (NM) 6-3, 6-2
2. Luca Barlocchi (UNLV) def. Carl Ho (NM) 3-6, 7-6, 6-3
3. Johannes Markel (UNLV) def. Jadon Phillips (NM) 6-3, 6-3
4. Phil Anderson (NM) def. Attila Toth (UNLV) 6-0, 6-2
5. Joe Wood (NM) def. Bernard Schoeman (UNLV) 7-5, 6-4
6. Conor Berg (NM) def. Kasper Konyves (UNLV) 6-3, 6-4
1. Mehdi Bouras/Luca Barlocchi (UNLV) def. Jadon Phillips/Phil Anderson (NM) 9-8
2. Ben Dunbar/Conor Berg (NM) def. Bernard Schoeman/Johannes Markel (UNLV) 8-6
3. Attila Toth/Kasper Konyves (UNLV) def. Joe Wood/Carl Ho (NM) 8-6
University of New Mexico 6-9
UNLV 11-8; National ranking #66