Jan. 23, 2010
Albuquerque, N.M.- Freshmen Kristin Eggleston and Amy Shipperd soared past the competition today at the Lobos first dual match. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough for New Mexico (0-1) to clinch the win as they fell to Tulane (1-0), 4-2 at the McLeod Tennis Center in Lubbock, Texas.
"We played well but were not able to capitalize on some great opportunities to change the momentum in our favor," head coach Roy Cañada said.
Eggleston defeated Elizabeth Hamlin in three sets, 6-3, 1-6, 6-3.
Shipperd dominated Caroline Gerber. Gerber didn't win a single set in the loss to Shipperd as Shipperd won 6-0, 6-0.
"Both Kristin and Amy did an amazing job in their debut during a dual match as freshman," Cañada said. "We are young and inexperienced but those first match jitters are out the way and that is bound to help in getting us settled into the season and on the road to improvement."
The Lobos take on UT Arlington tomorrow at 12:00 P.M.
1) M. Kurdadze (Tulane) def. A. Villanueva (UNM) 6-1 6-0
2) K. Eggleston (UNM) def. L. Hamlin (Tulane) 6-3 1-6 6-3
3) E. Levy (Tulane) def. A. Bonner (UNM) 7-5 6-3
4) L. Dvorak (Tulane) def. L. Richardson (UNM) 6-2 6-1
5) H. Elster (Tulane) def. M. Oldani (UNM) 6-1 6-2
6) A. Shipperd (UNM) def. C. Gerber (Tulane) 6-0 6-0
Final team score Tulane 4 UNM 2