April 9, 2009
SAN DIEGO, Calif.-- The 41st-ranked University of New Mexico men's tennis team dropped their first match of conference play and second match in a row, losing 5-2 to the 45th-ranked TCU Horned Frogs today at the Aztec Tennis Center. The Horned Frogs captured the doubles point and went 4-for-4 from singles positions No. 3 through No. 6 to improve to 9-10 and 3-1 in the Mountain West Conference while the Lobos fell to 15-4 and 2-1 in MWC play.
After seniors Johnny Parkes and Miles Bugby picked up straight-set wins in singles at positions No.1 and No. 2, the rest of the Lobo lineup faltered. Parkes improved to 18-1, however, defeating 62nd-ranked Slah Mbarek, 6-2, 6-1. In his spring debut at the No. 2 singles position, Miles Bugby used two sets to take down Emanuel Brighui, who ranks 110th, 7-5, 6-4.
The Lobos narrowly handed the Horned Frogs the doubles victory. TCU sophomores Zach Nichols and Christopher Price won the deciding match at the No. 3 slot over Lobo freshmen Carl Ho and Ben Dunbar, 9-7. At the No. 2 position, UNM's Graeme Kassautzki and Joe Wood pulled out an 8-2 win over Brighui and Adrian Simon, the 20th-ranked doubles tandem in the country, 8-2. Parkes and Bugby nearly out-played Kreigler Brink and Mbarek at the No.1 position, but ended up falling 8-6.
The Lobos continue play Friday, April 10, and Saturday, April 11, both conference matches. On Friday the Lobos will face No. 46 Utah while on Saturday No. 64 BYU and UNM will tangle. Both match times are set for 10 a.m. MDT.
#45 TCU 5, #41 New Mexico 2
1. #31 Kriegler Brink/Slah Mbarek (TCU) def. Miles Bugby/Johnny Parkes (UNM), 8-6
2. Graeme Kassautzki/Joe Wood (UNM) def. #20 Emanuel Brighiu/Adrian Simon (TCU), 8-2
3. Zach Nichols/Christopher Price (TCU) def. Ben Dunbar/Carl Ho (UNM), 9-7
1. Johnny Parks (UNM) def. #62 Slah Mbarek (TCU), 6-2, 6-1
2. Miles Bugby (UNM) def. #110 Emanuel Brighiu (TCU), 7-5, 6-4
3. #76 Kriegler Brink (TCU) def. Graeme Kassautzki (UNM), 7-6(6), 7-5
4. Zach Nichols (TCU) def. Ben Dunbar (UNM), 6-3, 6-7(8), 1-0 (8-6)
5. Christopher Price (TCU) def. Phil Anderson (UNM), 6-4, 7-5
6. Casey Powers (TCU) def. Joe Wood (UNM), 6-1, 6-4