Nov. 16, 2003
Boise, Idaho - The Boise State men's tennis team defeated New Mexico in the Championship Match of the Mountain Region Indoor Championship Saturday, 4-2, in the Boas Indoor Tennis Center. The win makes the Broncos one of 16 teams to advance to the national tournament, which will be held at the University of Washington, Feb., 5-7.
The Broncos had to come from behind for the victory after New Mexico took the doubles point. Juniors David Kowalski and Ryan Stotland defeated Guillaume Bouvier and Thomas Schoeck at the first doubles position, 8-5. The Lobos clinched the doubles point behind senior Divan Coetzee and freshman Hiroud Akhavan's 8-6 win at at No. 2 over Mahmoud Rezk and Matias Silva. The Broncos' Nils Klemann and James Ludlow won at the third spot, 8-4, over sophomore Henry Gers and senior Jasmin Hodzic.
In singles, it was a tug-of-war with two of the four matches going into three sets. In the first spot, Bouvier handed Coetzee a rare loss, taking the match 6-2, 6-2. Kowalski won the Lobos' only singles match with a 6-3, 7-6 win over Silva in the second position. At No. 3, Scheock came back after losing the first set to Akhavan with a 4-6, 7-5, 6-2 victory. Klemann followed Scheock's lead also coming back from a first set loss. Klemann took the No. 4 matchup 2-6, 6-0, 6-2 over Gers. Hodzic and Ludlow's match was not finished.
In the semi-final matches earlier Saturday, Boise State defeated Colorado 4-0 and New Mexico netted a 4-3 win over BYU.
This was the final competition for the Lobos this fall. They will resume competition in the spring when they host Northern Arizona on Jan. 25 at 11 a.m.
Boise State 4, New Mexico 2
1. Kowalski/Stotland, UNM, def. Bouvier/Schoeck, BSU, 8-5
2. Coetzee/Akhavan, UNM, def. Rezk/Silva, BSU, 8-6
3. Klemann/Ludlow, BSU, def. Gers/Hodzic, UNM, 8-4
1. Guillaume Bouvier, BSU, def. Divan Coetzee, UNM, 6-2 6-2
2. David Kowalski, UNM, def. Matias Silva, BSU, 6-3 7-6
3. Thomas Scheock, BSU, def. Hiroud Akhavan, UNM, 4-6 7-5 6-2
4. Nils Klemann, BSU, def. Henry Gers, UNM, 2-6 6-0 6-2
6. James Ludlow, BSU, vs. Jasmin Hodzic, UNM, DNF
UNM 4, BYU 3
1. Divan Coetzee, UNM, def. Erik Nyman, BYU, 6-7 7-6 6-4
2. David Kowalski, UNM, def. Richard Dasok, BYU, 7-6 6-4
3. Nima Roshan, BYU, def. Hiroud Akhavan, UNM, 7-6 3-6 7-5
4. Jose Lechuga, BYU, def. Ryan Stotland, UNM, 3-6 6-3 7-6
5. Christian Hand, BYU, def. Henry Gers, UNM, 3-6 7-5 6-4
6. Jasmin Hodzic, UNM, def. Alonso Medina, BYU, 4-6 6-3 7-5
1. Kowalski/Stotland, UNM, def. Roshan/Lechuga, BYU, 9-7
2. Coetzee/Akhavan, UNM, vs. Dasok/Nyman, BYU, DNF
3. Gers/Hodzic, UNM, def. Medina/Hand, BYU, 8-6
Boise State 4, Colorado 0
1. Guillaume Bouver, BSU, def. Marko Bundalo, CU, 6-2 6-2
2. Matias Silva, BSU, vs. Peter Njork, CU, DNF
3. Thomas Schoeck, BSU, vs. Marcos Digliodo, CU, DNF
4. Nils Klemann, BSU, def. Marek Dvorak, CU, 6-1 6-1
5. Mahmoud Rezk, BSU, def. Chad Tsuda, CU, 6-4 6-0
6. James Ludlow, BSU, def. Elliott Quibell, CU, 6-1 6-2
1. Bouvier/Schoeck, BSU, vs. Digiodo/Tsuda, CU, DNP
2. Rezk/Silva, BSU, vs. Bundalo/Dvorak, CU, DNP
3. Klemann/Beck Roghaar, BSU, vs. Bjork/Quibell, CU, DNP