May 8, 2009
LOS ANGELES, Calif. - The 41st-ranked University of New Mexico men's tennis team dropped a 4-0 decision to the 33rd-ranked University of Minnesota in the first round of the 2009 NCAA Team Tournament Friday afternoon at USC's Marks Stadium. The Lobos finish the regular season with a 20-6 overall mark while the Gophers improved to 19-7 in their 21st NCAA appearance.
The Lobos dropped the doubles point in two matches. Senior Graeme Kassautzki and sophomore Joe Wood lost 8-4 in the No. 2 position, snapping a six-game win streak. The remaining two doubles combinations for the Lobos pushed their matches to 6-6 ties, but the Gophers came out on top. Freshmen Ben Dunbar and Carl Ho finished their match first, losing 8-6 to in the No. 3 doubles slot.
New Mexico struggled in the first set of singles actions. Parkes was the only Lobo to win his first set, 7-6, in the No. 1 position. Minnesota's No. 4 singles Dino Bilankov was the first Gopher to add to the lead when he downed Dunbar, 6-4, 6-1. Soon after Dehn, at No. 5 singles, downed Lobo Phil Anderson, 6-2, 6-3, to put the Gophers ahead 3-0. Dehn won five straight games to close out the second set.
While the sets were split on courts 1, 2 and 6, all eyes turned to Gallego at No. 3 singles. Gallego took the first set 6-0, but Bugby made the second set a battle. Gallego, however, was able to end the match before a Lobo rally started, clinching the match with a 6-4 second set.
Parkes received an automatic bid to compete in the NCAA singles competition in College Station, Texas, beginning on Wednesday, May 20. Parkes takes his 23-2 spring singles record into the event. He is one win away from clinching the top spot on the UNM career singles list.
(1) Tobias Wernet-Michael Sciora (Minn) vs. Miles Bugby-Johnny Parkes (UNM), 6-7, susp.
(2) Phil Arndt-Ishay Hadash (Minn) def. Graeme Kassautzki-Joe Wood (UNM), 8-4
(3) Sebastian Gallego-Julian Dehn (Minn) def. Ben Dunbar-Carl Ho (UNM), 8-6
Order of Finish: 2,3
(1) Ishay Hadash (Minn) vs. Johnny Parkes (UNM), 6-7 (4-7), 3-0 susp.
(2) Tobias Wernet (Minn) vs. Graeme Kassutzki (UNM), 6-1, 4-6, 1-1 susp.
(3) Sebastian Gallego (Minn) def. Miles Bugby (UNM), 6-0, 6-4
(4) Dino Bilankov (Minn) def. Ben Dunbar (UNM), 6-4, 6-1
(5) Julian Dehn (Minn) def. Phil Anderson (UNM), 6-2, 6-3
(6) Phil Arndt (Minn) vs. Carl Ho (UNM), 6-2, 4-6 susp.
Order of Finish: 4,5,3